One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to fry and eat a ton of scrapple. Love that stuff.

The ingredients have scared me away haha

My GFs dad is a butcher and he Gave me a brick.... It literally looks like a brick

They have it on Easter morning at their house... I have yet to be of work for Easter since we have been together...

Maybe sat I'll bust it out

I want to try seal, kangaroo, and way too many others to list. can't really think of many things I would not try. I tried porcupine one time, was pretty good.

Seal is good, we like it better than muktuk. Swan and Sandhill Crane is very good.

Would like to try Sea Urchin.

I love Morels and we do alot of foraging and collect quite a few in season up here.

I'd like to try elephant, zebra, wildebeast. I've had rattlesnake (VERY TASTY!) but I'd like to try python. I hear beaver is good, and I'd like to try horse, camel, emu, bear and giant clam. And Humbolt squid; maybe even the elusive giant squid.
Regards, GF.

I'd like to try elephant, zebra, wildebeast. I've had rattlesnake (VERY TASTY!) but I'd like to try python. I hear beaver is good, and I'd like to try horse, camel, emu, bear and giant clam. And Humbolt squid; maybe even the elusive giant squid.
Regards, GF.

Giant clam is good, my bil used to sail on a clam boat

I'm really lucky, I've got a wild game processor a few miles from me. I get to pretty much try everything meat wise I want. And the prices aren't terrible either.

Butcher Boy Rare Game Meats.

426766_10151018121444067_2022036241_n.jpg

And it's the only place I know of where the general public who don't hunt can buy venison.

216019_10151018086479067_65369473_n.jpg

Not even that odd I guess, but I've always wanted to try alligator. And now that passedpawn mentions it, I'd try snake too.

I killed a rattlesnake last Summer at a 4th of July party. I skinned it and cooked it. The kids (mostly the boys) got a kick out of it, and went back to school and told their friends. Summer Memories. LOL

RattleSNACK:

2012-07-07161833.jpg

2012-07-07190311.jpg

I want to try Morels too. They are common in Tennessee, but I have never found any.

I've tried buffalo, moose, venison, gator, mocassin and rattlesnake, wild hog and some insects. Would like to try squirrel, ostrich, and for vegetables maybe Kim-chi - sp?

gratus fermentatio said:
I hear beaver is good, and I'd like to try horse, camel, emu, bear and giant clam. And Humbolt squid; maybe even the elusive giant squid.
Regards, GF.

I eat beaver a couple times a week at least.
You have no idea what you are missing....

I am a bit of an adventurous eater. Just ask my belt! I love this thread.

Just for fun, Rocky Mountain oysters

As mentioned, they are pretty much usually prepared like chicken fingers. I would classify them as an indistinct chewy beef part. I was staying in a little one horse town during a power plant shutdown the company I was working for at the time had the scaffold contract. So I was there for a couple weeks. Ate the prairie oysters almost every day with a few beers after work. I think I liked the sauce (it was a mayo/chipotle type)...

Here in Germany, they have something called Mett. It is some sort of cured ground beef but you would honestly think its raw. They serve it on bread with onions.

Igitt wie Sau!

Sounds just like tartar. I love that stuff. Eat it whenever I see it on a menu. I am searching for recipes.

I want morels. Never had them. All the foodie blogs are talking about how it's hunting time.

Me too!

I'm curious about Durian. Kobe beef is good, but expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth the expense. But, i think i can make most steaks taste good.

I really agree about the kobe. It IS good, but not at that price.
Durian is very interesting. I would say it is like a semi sweet/funky avocado.

Balut. Curious, just not curious enough to actually try it.

Century egg. See above.
[/IMG]

Birds nest. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I have had the Kopi Luwak tho'. Earthy.

I lived in the Philippines for 4 years. Balut is great. Some Balut is better than other baluts though! The cheaper ones are more "formed". You want a very immature duck fetus for it to be enjoyed. To be honest, your average Filipino does not even eat it. Bulut is classified as "pulutan", or "drinking food". You won't see it on the dinner table, etc.

Century egg and variants are really just cured/salted boiled eggs. Nothing terribly adventurous, but very tasty in salads or in soups, etc.

Chicken. Seriously.

I'd like to try the world famous Russian Beluga caviar, though I don't think I'd like it due to the salt content, maybe if they had a sale on a low sodium variety. Creamy, if you like fish roe, you should try ikura next time you go for sushi. It's salmon roe & it's sooooo tasty! I could eat a whole bowl of it with a spoon.

I'd like to try the surstromming. Though any food that has laws passed against eating them indoors must be approached with a little caution. I'd like to try some of the exotic meats like kangaroo, ostrich, iguana, etc...
I'd feel a little weird eating dog, but I like to think I'd be able to get past that & try it.

I'd like to try abalone, sea urchin & sea cucumber, but the sushi places in Missoula never have any of them. I'm pretty sure I'll have to go to Seattle for those.
Regards, GF.

I haven't had the best of the best for caviar, but I have had some god stuff, and I can say it is marginally better than the cheaper stuff, but not really worth it to me. I pick up a couple of jars of cheap lumpfish when I throw parties, and everyone likes it. I know it's not the same, but it's good enough for me.

As for dog, I did try it in the Philippines. We lived in the northern part, where the custom still lives on, though it is exceedingly rare (and mildly illegal). Like bulut, it is also more of a "drinking food", or impromptu accompaniment with drinks. It is said to make you feel "warm" inside, but in all honesty, I could not really tell it from goat or something like that.

Foie Gras. I never had the budget to try it, and now it's too late as I live in CA and think of the poor animals :cross:

Love it. Too bad it is so political. All the hand wringing about those geese, and it really looks like they live a happier life than at some large cattle slaughterhouse.

Regards, GF.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Real Southern BBQ is different depending on what part of the South you live in...There is Southern Plains (TX/OK) BBQ, that is different. I have lived in Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama(again) and West TN. Despite being a true southern boy, I have to say the Southern Plains BBQ was the best all-around. *I have not had Carolina style BBQ

But when I want real good Southern BBQ, as in Deep South, I love Dreamland
Ribs. http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/ShippingInfo.aspx

For pulled Pork I have to go with the Shed in South Mississippi http://theshedbbq.com/menu/

By the Way Dreamland Ships world wide

I've always wanted to try sweetbreads just to say I ate them.

Anybody ever try lengua (beef tongue)? Some of the hole-in-the-wall Mexican places serve it in tacos down here. Done right, it is very similar to slow cooked roast / brisket.

Real Southern BBQ is different depending on what part of the South you live in...There is Southern Plains (TX/OK) BBQ, that is different. I have lived in Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama(again) and West TN. Despite being a true southern boy, I have to say the Southern Plains BBQ was the best all-around. *I have not had Carolina style BBQ

But when I want real good Southern BBQ, as in Deep South, I love Dreamland
Ribs. http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/ShippingInfo.aspx

For pulled Pork I have to go with the Shed in South Mississippi http://theshedbbq.com/menu/

By the Way Dreamland Ships world wide

LOL I was going to suggest Dreamland! Unfortunately, they don't ship out from the original location, which for some reason are the best, but I am sure the ones they shop are above average.

Where in Alabama were you? Having been all over the south, I am of the opinion that the BBQ from Gibson's and to a greater extent, the Shoals area (Wright's, Bunyan's, Southern, Singleton's) are about the best you can get for pulled style... I always get outside meat and the hot slaw at the four places in Florence is amazing.

As far as something I would like to have? Hmmm I want to eat Szechuan hot pot IN the Szechuan province. I have eaten it in Guangzhou and made it at home, but I want it from the source...

Anybody ever try lengua (beef tongue)? Some of the hole-in-the-wall Mexican places serve it in tacos down here. Done right, it is very similar to slow cooked roast / brisket.

Lengua is delicious! I usually make it about every 2-3 weeks the fiancee and I love it. Ive been eating it all my life but just introduced it to her this year, she really loved it

Lengua is delicious! I usually make it about every 2-3 weeks the fiancee and I love it. Ive been eating it all my life but just introduced it to her this year, she really loved it

I like lengua tacos, but (other than the obvious Al Pastor, Chorizo, etc), what I REALLY love is cachete, which is cheek... mmm.... barbacoa, which is usually goat, is delicious too. A taqueria I used to go to when I lived in Oregon made mutton tacos from time to time, I can't remember what they called it in Spanish, but the lady said it was adult sheep (i.e. mutton) they made a special sauce to go with it that was like a pureed jalapeño sauce with some mint in it... oh my lord, that was good!

I like lengua tacos, but (other than the obvious Al Pastor, Chorizo, etc), what I REALLY love is cachete, which is cheek... mmm.... barbacoa, which is usually goat, is delicious too. A taqueria I used to go to when I lived in Oregon made mutton tacos from time to time, I can't remember what they called it in Spanish, but the lady said it was adult sheep (i.e. mutton) they made a special sauce to go with it that was like a pureed jalapeño sauce with some mint in it... oh my lord, that was good!

Actually barbacoa is usually beef. Which i also make often. Your taking about cabrito.

Actually barbacoa is usually beef. Which i also make often. Your taking about cabrito.

Yes cabrito is goat, however, the common meat used for barbacoa varies from region to region. In Northern Mexico, it is usually goat and some people in that region will actually call goats barbacoa. Honestly, I have only had beef barbacoa ONCE out of dozens of taquerias I have eaten in all over the country (every one of which I was the sole native English speaker in the place)

Born in Mobile, left after 21 years, moved back to Clanton, AL(half way between Montgomery and Birmingham) for about 5 years in my early 30s.

Mobile is still "home". love it down there.

Gotcha... love Mobile, almost moved there once. I was working for City Breweries and was at Magic City in Bham... When the brewer at Port City left, they offered me the job. However, it was July and when I went down and got a taste of the summer heat/humidity I gave them a resounding "thanks but no thanks!" I brewed there some, but mainly filling in while we hired and subsequently fired a couple different guys LOL

If you make it down to Florence, I'll turn you on to some of the BBQ here!

For Carolina a style BBQ, this vid is an excellent 5min explanation of how its made. This is just like how we do it when we buy a pig. The Carolina style BBQ sauce is made from vinegar, ketchup, salt, red pepper, black pepper, a bit of sugar. I Dont know the exact proportions, and may be leaving something out, but could find out from my parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Carolina a style BBQ, this vid is an excellent 5min explanation of how its made. This is just like how we do it when we buy a pig. The Carolina style BBQ sauce is made from vinegar, ketchup, salt, red pepper, black pepper, a bit of sugar. I Dont know the exact proportions, and may be leaving something out, but could find out from my parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3tAgqfAUik

Nice :D ... the BBQ in Northwest Alabama is actually sort of an offshoot of Carolina style. I think Bob Gibson learned from someone in Carolina, gave it his own twist and then it disseminated from there. Not 100% sure if that is how it happened, but that is the way I heard it, including from the owner of one of the local joints.

I've had sweetbreads that were nothing to write home about and I have had sweetbreads where I wanted to be alone in the room with them. When done right, they can bring tears to your eyes. I heartily suggest you try them more than once until you get a good plate of them.

Im subscribed just to see what I haven't had! I havent even heard of some of these. I'm fortunate to have travelled as well, and I do not shy away from culture or food.

wanted: hagus, turtle (i"m about to catch one, I just got the hook), snake ( I LOVE eel), any game I havent had yet, again still reading for recommendations

Recommended: squid eggs (or eyes) my Thai isnt great, its one of my favorite dishes, you find it in food carts in some areas of Thailand. Grasshoppers in Oaxaca Mexico- best beer munchie out there i SWEAR. and yes fish roe, theyre plump with em now, especially the whiting I caught over the weekend. Mix em with an omlette, Booya.

And of course................Southern freaking BBQ. You fixin to derail this here thread of Creamy's by going there my friend. No state, city, town or chef is bout to let that one slide! Lemme tell ya' dry rub (starts a spice war and theyre all secret) mariande (starts a time and recipe war and theyre all secret), wood or charcoal (starts a huge debate and youll never find out where they get the wood from), time and flips (oh lord here we go again), slather/soak/or dry (the night sets in and the debate just got interesting), now you havent even got to the sauce yet and that is broken down into a whole nother Forum! Yes sir and madame, you better have you some southern BBQ and tell the chef its the best youve ever had..... trust me.

You ever make it Savannah , yeah we'll throw down.

I've had sweetbreads that were nothing to write home about and I have had sweetbreads where I wanted to be alone in the room with them. When done right, they can bring tears to your eyes. I heartily suggest you try them more than once until you get a good plate of them.

wait a sec- the term sweetbreads apparently has more than one meaning- one being what i know as sweetbreads; calf or lamb thymus gland, and another being, well, balls. so which meaning are we talking about here?? thymus sweetbreads can be divine, dredged in flour, fried quickly, served with rich sauces, then i too can get a bit overenthusiastic about them, or they can indeed be too much, overcooked, tough, gamey. but i've never (knowingly) had the balls variery.

Latest posts

Back