3 Hearted Zombie Jesus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BklynCyclone

Reaction score
I started my first lambic last year but I didn't exactly follow the schedule I was planning on as life happened and I more or less forgot about it in my fermentation room. I know that I haven't technically done things correctly to date, and am not interested in what I should have done. However, I'm interested in what those experienced with lambics would do with what I've got now. Here's the synopsis of the beer in question to date:

February 14, 2012: Brewed a 10 gallon batch of 1050 or so with a bit of saaz hops, mostly maris otter with a little caramel malt for color. Split into two glass carboys and pitched wyeast lactobacillus, splitting one pack between the carboys. Placed in water tub with aquarium heaters and kept at 76 degrees for 3-4 months. Continued fermentation between 64 and 66 degrees.

Easter Sunday, 2013: Finally brewed another batch of beer(life happened, specifically I had twins), and realized I still had wyeast lambic blend and pedio in the fridge, expired. Figured wth, and pitched them both. Nothing seemed to be going. Taste of beer was still sweet, but with a yogurt tang. (only had lactobacillus in it up to this point).

April 16, 2013: Started a white labs brett over the weekend. On the 16th I noticed that the previous brett I had pitched was now actively fermenting. Pitched a 2 liter starter of the white labs brett divided into the two carboys to add another strain of the brett.

April 20, 2013: Added 2 oz of medium toasted oak cubes soaked in bourbon for a week to one carboy.

Not sure what to do next other than wait. I'd like to add cherries to one of them, probably the oaked version. Plan is to bottle and cork in belgians on 2/14/14, drink on easter 2014-2020, special occasions only if it turns out ok. Not sure when I should add the cherries, or what I should add (canned cherries, or fresh) I'm thinking I could add fresh in season, which would be about perfect timing, but defaulting to those of you that have done this before.

I pretend like this beer doesn't even exist, so much so that I never actually pitched the brett 2 weeks after the lacto like I originally intended. (Instead waiting over a year accidentally). Current fermentation temp is 64-65, will likely stay within a degree or 2 of that either direction.

Any ideas of what I should do next? I do have a 5 gallon barrel ready, but I think I want to do a couple imperial ipas in there first, then turn it into my sour barrel. I'll basically have a base version lambic, and then an oaked cherry version when I'm done for comparison.

So you fermented it for over a year with just lacto? Do you know what the gravity was before you pitched the brett?

I would treat it as if it is as old as the day you pitched the yeast in; Easter 2013. Lambic is a yeast driven style. Give that brett at least 6 months to work and see if it cleans up the beer and starts creating some good flavor. If its going well, I would give it another 6-12 months before fruiting. I would also remove the oak cubes so they don't impart too much flavor and overpower your beer.

So you fermented it for over a year with just lacto? Do you know what the gravity was before you pitched the brett?

I would treat it as if it is as old as the day you pitched the yeast in; Easter 2013. Lambic is a yeast driven style. Give that brett at least 6 months to work and see if it cleans up the beer and starts creating some good flavor. If its going well, I would give it another 6-12 months before fruiting. I would also remove the oak cubes so they don't impart too much flavor and overpower your beer.

Thanks for the info. Yep, 1 year plus lacto only... I guessed that the oak might have been too much too early, but figured I could rack off the cubes in a few months if need be. I didn't take a gravity reading only a taste test to see if I should dump or not. It seemed pretty sweet still (like a sweetened yogurty thing, no funk (or atleast what I define as funk) so if I had to guess I'd say I'm still in the upper 1030s to mid 1040s. The brett is definitely working on the beer now. The carboys have vented silicone stoppers, so I basically ignore them since I don't ever have to refill the airlocks. Looks like I might wait until easter 2015 to bottle this thing... or can I assume it would age okay in belgian bottles as well? I guess I'll bottle the unoaked w/o cherries version next easter, and add the cherries to the other one then.

No helpful knowledge....

LOVE THE EFFING NAME!!!!;)

:mug:

"3 Hearted Zombie Jesus.....not just for Easter......anymore!"

No helpful knowledge....

LOVE THE EFFING NAME!!!!;)

:mug:

"3 Hearted Zombie Jesus.....not just for Easter......anymore!"

Thanks! It sort of just dawned on me since everything related to this beer has more or less occurred on valentine day or easter... Trying to stick with it, but sounds like I'll have a 3 hearted version (3 valentine days) and now a 4 hearted version w/ cherries & Oak. I have a longer name for that one but don't want to offend people more than I already am... ;)

Thanks! It sort of just dawned on me since everything related to this beer has more or less occurred on valentine day or easter... Trying to stick with it, but sounds like I'll have a 3 hearted version (3 valentine days) and now a 4 hearted version w/ cherries & Oak. I have a longer name for that one but don't want to offend people more than I already am... ;)

Those who know me would tell you that it is VERY unlike me to incite a full out effing DE-RAIL.....but......

Seen the "higher power" poll?

Take those results and the resulting debate to mean a LOT of open mindedness in here. Non believers take the majority by a fair margin.

PM me if you are scared;)

Back