What to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad28

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to beer brewing and I'm very excited to brew my own beer. I wasn't sure where to post this so please feel free to move it wherever. I have been thinking about brewing for all long time now, and I'm really unsure where to start.

I have asked a lot of the people I know about brewing my own beer, and they tell me not to brew my own beer because it all taste horrible. Needless to say this has crushed my dreams of brewing something that my wife and I would enjoy.

My wife and I drink bud light primarly but can't say that I love it. I haven't really had an opportunity to drink beers of other verities, because I'm unsure what to buy. I do like wheat beer and believe that there has to be something better than what I'm currently drinking.

Thanks for any help and advice.

I would try a Belgian Blonde. They are smooth, delicious, a little fruity and a great transitional beer from BMC (Bud Miller Coors) type beers.

People saying that homebrewing beer will taste horrible are simply ignorant. You can buy a kit from a LHBS and make pretty darned fantastic beer, especialy if you follow the stickies and advice of this forum.

Rich, dark, hoppy beers are a pretty far jump from BMC. Doesn't mean you won't love them, but a straightforward, clean beer is an easier transition.

Don't let people tell you that your own beer would taste horrible. There are thousands of people out there brewing their own homebrew not only because they enjoy it, but because it tastes better than many name brands out there. Not to mention, it's fun being able to tinker with recipes, make something geared toward your desires, and then drink the final product knowing it was your creation :)

If you are serious about wanting to brew, you first will need the equipment. If you have the money, you should look into getting a homebrew equipment kit. These kits will give you all of the supplies required to get started, including a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, siphon, airlock for fermenter, hydrometer, etc. Most of these are meant to brew 5-gallon batches of beer, which is most common. The kits will usually run $75-150 depending on what comes with them. I bought my kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. Northern Brewer is another company with good kits.

Another option, if you're hesitant to spend that much money without knowing if you'll love it, is to start small. I got started with the Mr. Beer kit, which allows you to make smaller 2.5 gallon batches in a cheap fermenter. You can find the kit on Amazon for under $50 with your first two batches of beer ingredients included. Some people here will bash Mr. Beer, mostly because of its limitations and small batch sizes, but it's a decent way to find out
if you like brewing beer enough to invest $150 into more equipment to make bigger and better batches.

After you have the equipment, it comes down to buying beer ingredients to make the beers. You'll find lots of options at Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, and many other places online that sell kits with the ingredients and instructions for making your brews. Buying packaged kits like this is recommended for your first few batches at least, to see the process and what kinds of ingredients go into a beer. After that, you could start tinkering with your own recipes or twists.

Some of the sites I referenced regarding kits:

Austin Homebrew Supply Kits: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_33_52&osCsid=69615c7b2176a3c65efa7061e559c5d1

Northern Brewer Kits: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits

Mr. Beer on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BCFUBU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hopefully others will offer up some other recommendations as well. Welcome to the dark side :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit a local brewery or brewpub if you can. Take notes and see what styles you like. Your tastes will evolve over time. Don't hesitate to ask questions. This blog is an excellent source for information. Welcome to the obsession!

Once you've decided what styles you'd like to brew, and even what beers you'd like to emulate, search here for great recipes and excellent advice. Don't be shy about asking for help here. We've all been precisely where you are at some point in our brewing past. You'll get help in everything from getting started to fine tuning your process. Browse the forums frequently and absorb the information. Best of luck.

I just started my first batch and my local sells several "kits" of bundled up extracts and ingredients of several types of beer. I bought a European Pilsner and an IPA and am doing the Pilsner first. I followed his instructions and bought his recommended materials for a 5 ga brew kit. I am keeping to the instructions and going for a very traditional pils to get the process down and I am not trying anything flashy like adding passion fruit and chocolate and ginger and extra priming sugar to boost alcohol content. Keep it simple and focus on the process. So far I am on day 4 of the primary ferment and will move it to secondary carboy tonight. No problems or mistakes so far.

People saying not to brew your own beer because it will taste bad is like being told not to cook your own meals because they will taste bad.Sounds like the people telling you this has no real knowledge of homebrew.

I started with a gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew shop. They run between 30 and 40$ on Amazon. Easy and tasty. Gave me a the encouragement I needed to step it up. After two, one gallon batches I started to upgrade. I now use the carboy in that kit for cider and went to my Lhbs for a bigger fermenter. I probably don't make very good beer, but to me- its the best I've ever had!!!

I

I'd start with an ale, since lagers are much more difficult. Then I'd brew something that has a little bit of color or hops as they hide flaws better. Something like an Irish Red, American Amber, Brown Ale, or American Pale Ale.

You might first want to try some commercial examples of those styles to figure out which one you want to try and brew. Midwest Supplies often has Groupon deals for getting starter equipment kits, an extract ingredient kit, and a gift cert for future stuff. Very good deal!

Good luck!

Agreed with the rest. Bud Light is a lager, lagers are a little more complicated and lighter on flavor than ales which are the primary starter beer types (they are more forgiving for untemperature controlled fermenting). I would second going to a brewpub or other bar and see if you can sample some of the other offerings to see if you can find some of the more flavorful (not always dependant on color) ales that suit your tastes and make one of those. Blondes are not a bad place to start, if you enjoy wheat beers, that is not a bad place to start either. There are also 1 gallon recipes and kits that you can start with and not have to invest too much on startup costs. All you would really need is the extracts, steeping grains(optional), hops, yeast, a container to ferment in, a thermometer, grain bag or strainer or your SWMBO's stockings, some sort of airlock (foil will work in a pinch), and some method for packagaing (you can use clean empty soda bottles) and a reasonably cool closet to ferment in.

I really suggest finding styles that you like before jumping in because there is no sense in making beer if you do not enjoy it, and start simply so if you do not get addicted like we are you arent out much. Who am I kidding, you will love it. Welcome.

many grocery stores have make your own six packs. get a 6er of different styles, to see if there is a type you enjoy more than what you drink now.
You said you enjoy wheat beer, and there are many good wheat beer kits at the shops mentioned in earlier posts. Wheat beers are also pretty straightforward to make, so I think they'd be good to start with. another choice would be a cream ale, they are pretty much the ale version of Bud, pretty light, and clean tasting. being an ale, they are less complicated than lagers, as they don't require as strict temp. control.

I'd suggest going to a local specialty wine/beer store. I have a Specs down the road. Maybe I'm just lucky, but they have a beer guru who really knows his stuff. If you have a similar store near you, go and speak to their guru. Explain your situation and I'm sure s/he will be more than happy to gently introduce you to some new craft beer styles. Don't be scared to try something different, and when you do, don't sip it. Have a good smell and a hefty mouthful to get all the flavors. Those beer made it onto the selves for a reason. They're darn good.

WARNING: Once your local guru knows what your tastes are, you'll always walk out of the store with more beer than you intended to buy.

I forgot to mention; once you find beer styles you like, with practice you can not only recreate them, but improve them (I'm still some way off in this regard :(

I think your first goal should be to buy and taste different varieties of beers to see what you like. You will have much more success brewing your own if you know the styles you like. Given that you are making the transition from bud light and said you like wheat beers, I would suggest that you try the following styles:

• Blonde Ale (these are malty, easy drinking beers so they are an easy transition from bud light)
  • Cream Ale (these generally contain grains other than barley so they are dry like bud light)
  • Kolsch (this is essentially the "ale" version a Pilsner and will have very light flavors but better that bud light; many American versions contain some wheat)
  • Irish Red (these are darker than the rest, but are very drinkable -- Smithwicks is a widely available authentic Irish Red)
  • American Wheat Beer (these can vary but often use a "clean" fermenting yeast that does not impart flavor letting the wheat shine)
  • German Hefeweizen (German wheat beer style that will have some banana/clove flavors imparted by the yeast)
  • Belgian Witbier (Belgian wheat beer style that generally has orange and coriander in it)
  • Dry Stout (Guinness) (a lot of people believe that these are "heavy" but a good dry stout is very drinkable and you should see if you enjoy them)

Until you are more seasoned, I would stay away from anything that says IPA and probably stay away from American Pale Ales for the time being. IPAs are (by definition) very bitter and have a strong hop flavor and aroma. APAs are toned down but many people think they are too bitter and too hoppy when they are first exploring beyond mass market beers. I can tell you from personal experience that trying an IPA as your first foray into non-macro beers could lead to disaster. One of the first microbrews I had was an IPA and it turned me off on ales for some time.

If you tell us where you live, people can probably give you some specific suggestions on brands.

I started in December of last year. When I started mentioning that I was brewing I had several people that had the same reaction as you experienced. But when they tried my brew they were Pleasently suprized! Now they look forward to the next "project". Start with a brewing book to give you the basics. Pick something you like, have fun, and enjoy the experience. If you make a mistake, let it age and see if it gets better. If it doesnt, learn and move on. Whatever you do, dont get discuraged, have fun drinking your own BEER!

Is a 7.9 gallon fermenter to big for 5 gallons?

Definitely not. 7.9 gallon fermenter buckets are very common, and are generally used to make 5 or 6 gallon batches (I used the same bucket from Austin Homebrew for a while). The extra "headspace" just gets filled by CO2 during fermentation. Having that much space is fine.

Thanks for all the great advice. I live in Columbia, Missouri.

Bocomo Bay on Wilkes has some home brew stuff, but most of the staff I've met there don't know anything about it. Get your advice here and see what you can buy there. The prices weren't bad last time I was there.
I also heard that one of the HyVee stores in CoMo has some ingredients but I haven't verified that.
If you ever get down to the Springfield area there is a great LHBS in Ozark. www.homebrewey.com

Cheers!

You should definitely try some beer from Boulevard (KC brewery). Their Unfiltered Wheat is a good American wheat.

Lots of good Missouri breweries. Mother's, Schlafly, Boulevard.
CoMo has good brewpubs too. Flat Branch, Broadway Brewery, and I haven't tried the beer from Rock Bridge brewery yet.

Thanks. The HyVee does have ingredients. I did the build your own 6 pack and the guy working gave me some advice this is what I got.

ForumRunner_20130405_140447.jpg

Thanks. The HyVee does have ingredients. I did the build your own 6 pack and the guy working gave me some advice this is what I got.

Tow Head is a good easy drinking beer.

edit: and I love the left hand milk stout.

Those all look like great brews! I hope you like them. If you don't there are certainly brews that fall in between those and Bud Light (many styles and specific brews mentioned in previous posts). If you do like them, I'd say you are going to be seriously hooked.

That Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is a great beer. You'll want to pour it a little harder than most other beers to make sure it gets a good head on it though.

I was confused for a minute about the left hand stout because it is on the right hand side in my picture. Lol. I'm looking forward to trying some of these after work tonight. This may be a dumb question, but I don't have a pint glass will a normal glass be OK?

:rolleyes: Oh no. The wrong glass will def F' things up. I guess my beer tastes aren't quite as refined as some others. I wouldn't be able to taste the dif if a beer was in the wrong glass. Unless something bad was floating in it.

Lol thanks for the reassurance. What made me think of that is all the Sam's Adams commercials...

Yeah, there's a whole school of thought for optimal glass shapes for a type of beer to, "...offer beer lovers a full sensory drinking experience..."
Beer is good. Do lots of research. It may be tough, but somebody's gotta do it.

My wife and I tried the tow head and the milk stout.
The tow head was slightly bitter for the first drink or two but we both like it.
The milk stout tasted to much like coffee. I did like some of the other flavors but to coffee taste was to much for me.

Back