Time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
Have two extract kits working, an Easy Blonde, and an Irish Red, and they say they are ready to bottle after two weeks. All posts I have been reading say to wait a minimum of three or four. Are there any styles that WILL NOT benefit from extra time?

I go 4 with big beers, 3 for standard, and 2 for beers where I want the yeast vital for a subsequent big batch. I also go 2 for wheat beers as the yeast is appropriate in many cases and they taste better fresh.

Going longer will usually give you clearer beer, but its possible to cold crash at shorter times also. All that said, beer does not ferment on a schedule, so you need to do some hydrometer checks.

I go 4 with big beers, 3 for standard, and 2 for beers where I want the yeast vital for a subsequent big batch. I also go 2 for wheat beers as the yeast is appropriate in many cases and they taste better fresh.

Going longer will usually give you clearer beer, but its possible to cold crash at shorter times also. All that said, beer does not ferment on a schedule, so you need to do some hydrometer checks.

good rule-of-thumb, but, like he says, hydrometer readings are key

I've heard the same. The only thing I worry about is the risk of infection every time I open the fermentor to take readings. I would check 1 day and then check again in 2 days to reduce any infection risk and you have a for sure way to check for any big swing in gravity readings.

I go 4 (weeks) with big beers, 3 for standard, and 2 for beers where I want the yeast vital for a subsequent big batch.

beer does not ferment on a schedule, so you need to do some hydrometer checks.

I've heard the same. The only thing I worry about is the risk of infection every time I open the fermentor to take readings. I would check 1 day and then check again in 2 days to reduce any infection risk and you have a for sure way to check for any big swing in gravity readings.

read somewhere to relax and don't worry.

I've always said brewing is a VERY forgiving hobby. especially when starting out, a couple ounces (dry or liquid), a couple degrees, a couple days one way or another, you're gonna make beer. 3 weeks into fermentation there is a SLIGHT risk of infection, but there's a lot going against that risk; a CO2 blanket, alcohol level and such. opening up the bucket lid long enough to grab 100ml is not very risky.

I give my standard gravity beers (around 1.055) 3 weeks, fermenter is only opened once; to take FG reading, rack and bottle.

Back