Cream Ale Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have been having issues with my cream ale. My first recipe listed below had an grainy off taste (not tannins). I am assuming it was the honey malt. The recipe is as follows

7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked rice
1/2 lb honey malt
.5 oz Saaz @ 60 min
.5 oz Saaz. @ 10 min
Safale US-05

My next Cream Ale was way, way, way to light (i'm talking Witbier light). The recipe was as followed

6lbs 2 Row
2lbs Flaked rice
2lbs Flaked Corn
Same Hop addition except an extra .25 on the 60 minute boil
US-05

I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong. I am thinking if I follow the first recipe, cut back the honey malt to a 1/4 pound and replace the rice with corn it might fix a few issues. Anyone have any suggestions. The first one was drinkable after about a month and a half. It did have a slight lemony flavor to it when the graininess subsided, the lemony flavor is really hard to describe.

I think you need more hops to be balanced. You don't list the aa of the saaz, but it's usually around 3%. You would probably need 1.5oz at 60 min to be a little more balanced. Also in such a simple beer you might want to cut back on the honey malt a little.

Yea. All my gravity readings were where they needed to be. The second I think has to much adjunct compared to 2 row. I think the first one is the ticket. Swapping out rice with corn.

I did a 3-gallon cream ale batch that was 5lbs 2-row and 1lbs flaked corn, that was it, fermented with US-05. For hops, I used 1oz Crystal at 60min and I dry hopped 1oz Crystal for a week in secondary. It turned out pretty citrusy, but still quite tasty.

Honey malt gets heavy in a hurry and can come off as a very grainy and cloying taste. I have learned to use a little bit less than I think I need when designing then adjust on subsequent recipes from that point.

Currently I have an Imperial IPA I have been adjusting each time I brew because initially it was too much and I noticed the same type of flavor you mention.

I would use 6 Row instead of 2 Row. The 6 row may convert the adjuncts more completely. Replace the rice with corn. I also use Cascade for my hops. Mash at 148 degrees. Here is my Cream Ale recipe.

8 lbs 6 row
1 lbs Carapils
1 lbs flaked corn
4 oz Crystal 40
0.70 oz Cascade 60 min 7.10% AA
0.17 oz Cascade 2 min 7.10% AA
Mash 75 minutes at 148 degrees
Ferment with White Labs WLP080

May be a little high on the OG but the recipe took 1st place last year. I messed with the recipe this year and didn't do as well. See what happens when you tinker.

Here is my recipe, it has placed third at a competition in St. Louis.
for 5 gallons
6 pounds 2 row
1.5 pounds flaked corn
.5 pound carapils
.85 ounce of willamette at 60
1 ounce cascade at 2
US-05
My efficiency is 85% so you can add more grain if you need to.

Back