Best Fat Tire Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
so my 3rd home brew was the Phat Tyre extract kit w/specialty grains from Norther Brewer...

It turned out very good but a little bitter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy bitter but wanted it to be more like Fat Tire than it was. Btw, that 5 gallon keg didn't last long!!

Sooo, I really want to do another Fat Tire clone and thought I would ask if what everyone's favorite kit is? It will need to be an extract kit with specialty grains.

I've read different opinions on this and other forums but thought maybe someone had done a recent batch or had done one they were very pleased with..

Of note... the NB kit I used was a gift to me and it had the standard dry yeast. So i do realize that using a proper yeast may have helped on the bitter taste and gave more of the biscuit flavor I'm looking to get in the next batch...

Sooo, chime in if you can offer any opinions on which kit I should try!

Thanks in advance!!

I did an AHS kit of Fat Tire a few months back. It came out pretty close, but didnt seem to have as much hoppy bite at the end. It was a tad more malty/sweet. Side by side, most people preferred the AHS kit to the real Fat Tire. Color was pretty much on, I had a longer lasting head on mine though. I like the real stuff, although it is my least favorite New Belgium brew. Basically tried it out because alot of people seem to drink it and its easier for people to see how close you can get. Anyway, good luck finding something : )

From BYO, the 150 Clone Recipe edition:

Malt

2.3 lb Cooper's Light DME
3.3 lb Cooper's Light LME
.50 lb Munich Malt
.50 lb Carapils
.50 lb Crystal 20L
6 oz Biscuit Malt
1 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops

.80 oz Williamette (90 mins)
.40 oz Fuggles (20 mins)
.40 oz Fuggles (At turn off...)

Miscellaneous

1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 mins)

Yeast

Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II
White Labs WLP051 - California Ale V

1.25 qt Yeast Starter from either of these strains.

GOOD LUCK!

12 gallon all grain batch. Subistute the two row with pale extract of your choice.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 21.75
Anticipated OG: 1.049 Plato: 12.06
Anticipated SRM: 10.5
Anticipated IBU: 17.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.8 18.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
4.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
4.6 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
4.6 1.00 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.1 0.25 lbs. Carafa 3 Germany 1.030 400

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Random Old Bittering Pellet 3.00 12.3 60 min.
2.00 oz. Random Old Bittering Pellet 3.00 4.1 20 min.
1.00 oz. Random Old Bittering Pellet 3.00 1.0 2 min.

Water: RO water with .3 grams calcium chloride per gallon and .2 gram epsom salt per gallon. 5-10% tap water depending on hardness. Matching fort collins water: http://www.fcgov.com/water/pdf/dw-bottled.pdf

Yeast
-----
used wyeast american 2 (1272) to ferment half of the batch
used safbrew T-58 to ferment the other half of the batch

Finished and carbonated both. Mixed in a pint glass until I got the taste I wanted and then blend a full keg based on the proportions in the pint glass.

The other way may be to just add like a 1/4 packet of t-58 to the wyeast american 2

I liked it! Color was slightly off-- lighter is i remember correctly. But pretty dead on.

also, just fyi, if you like biscuit flavor you can try victory malt, it can be steeped and works out very nicely. I use it in my extract bitter recipies and love it.

You CAN steep anything, but that doesn't mean that you should. Victory and Biscuit malts aren't converted, so steeping them is going to add a bunch of unconverted start to your wort.

You CAN steep anything, but that doesn't mean that you should. Victory and Biscuit malts aren't converted, so steeping them is going to add a bunch of unconverted start to your wort.

Great point! Figure into the recipe and mix in 1.5 pounds of two row to specialty grains when steeping on my recipe... On other recipes just make sure you add about 50% of two row to anything that can't convert itself.

The Victory Malt I was talking about, and I'm sorry I didn't qualify it, was Breiss Victory Malt... it has this description:

When steeped, it contributes a strong malt aroma and toasted malt, nutty flavor. Great in almost any ale recipe. Doesn't contribute much amber color unless mashed.

I use it in my extract bitters and esb's and it really works well, IMHO ... I totally agree that you can steep anything but Victory Malt is something that actually can be both steeped and mashed for usefulness.

Briess is the only one that makes "Victory" malt, which is still an unconverted kilned malt. If you don't mash it, you will end up with unconverted starch in your beer.

Did you do a full boil? Perhaps the bitterness is coming from not adjusting your 60min hop additions accordingly.

Back