Munton's syrup--any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
Newbie here, brewing with extract or partial mash. I have a recipe that includes Munton's light malt syrup. Is that any good? I usually get LME from Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies, and that's been good. Will this be even better or a step down? Thanks!

It really depends on where you get it from, has it sat on a shelf for years. Northern Brewer and Midwest have a high turnover so theirs would be fresh. Other than that whatever specialty grains you add would have a greater effect.

I would say if any change it would be a slight step down from Northern Brewer. I have never used Midwest's. YMMV.

Thanks! I decided to buy the Munton's to use in combination with 2# of Midwest Supplies LME that has been in my fridge for just under 3 weeks. The date on the Munton's can (after the X number) is 2348. I think that means the 348th day of 2012. I hope it's not the 348th day of 2002! Any experience with this?

I checked Palmer's last night, and he says fresh is best, and that old cans can mean you get the tang people talk about. I wonder if I should trade in the Munton's can and toss out the 2#, or if this will be OK. I'm doing partial mash, so extract will be the major
but not the only malt source.

When I do partial mash,the grains account for 50% of the fermentables. I use the fresh wort for hop additions. So the extract goes in as a flame out addition. With 365 days in a year,the 348th day would be late last year,making it December 14th. It should be ok as a flame out addition. The one in the fridge is younger,so use it in the boil if you have to.
I like Munton's plain DME's myself. Good flavors & no worries with darkening & the like as with LME.

Thanks for the advice--will do! The recipe called for Munton's DME, too. If I have time, I'm thinking I'll see if the LHBS will take back the can and exchange it for one of theirs, which are probably much fresher.

ok,since it only uses 1.2lb of light DME,add 1.5lbs of the LME to have 2lbsd in the 3G partial boil. Stir the LME in off the heat,as it'll go straight to the bottom before you can start stirring. stir till both are completely incorporated. Back on the heat for hop additions. And I wouldn't add the candy sugar till some 20 minutes left in the boil. Then at 15 minutes,add the orange peel & ginger root per recipe.

Back