Hoppy American Wheat critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodrigo3586

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm several batches into my all-grain BIAB technique and have finally put together my own recipe. I was hoping to hear some feedback about my recipe. I'm located in Korea and the only grains available are Weyermann, so that explains why I'm using Weyermann pils and wheat malts, rather than American 2-Row and wheat. I am wanting a beer that has a subtle bitterness, but hits you in the face with a full hoppy citrus aroma. I know this doesn't fit into BJCP style guidelines, but hey...I brew for myself, not competitions/judges. Any feedback would be appreciated as I plan on brewing this one tomorrow night. Again, I'm a newb, so take it easy on me if this recipe sucks.

Expected OG: 1.055 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 76%
Expected ABV: 5.5 %
Expected IBU: 37 IBU
Expected Color: 3 SRM
Boil: 90 minutes

Fermentables

2.53KG Weyermann Wheat Malt
2.53KG Weyermann Pils

Hops

60 mins-Centennial (pellet) 10.5% .5oz
15 mins-Amarillo (pellet) 9.5% .5oz
10 mins-Amarillo (pellet) 9.5% .5oz
5 mins-Amarillo (pellet) 9.5% .5oz
Dry Hop-Amarillo (pellet) 9.5% 1oz

Yeast

Wyeast 1010-American Wheat

Sorry if I'm missing anything here, this is my first time to submit a recipe on here. I typically mash around 67 C for 1 hour and mash out at 76 C for 10 mins. My efficiency usually is around 65-70%.Anyone think I should add a small percentage of crystal to this recipe? Any suggestions with my hops/hop schedule?

Cheers ya'll

Looks good to me. Check out 8wired.co.nz. They do hay wired which is essentially what your doing. It fits perfectly into the specialty category anyways....

I would increase the late hop additions if you're looking to really get a good aroma and flavor from it. You may also want to include some other citrusy hops to provide a little flavor depth. Also, I usually bitter with something neutral like Magnum. Sometimes bittering with other hops can give unexpected results - ie bittering with Amarillo gives me bitter, sour grapefruit character.

The recipe, as it stands now, has a similar hopping schedule to my American Wheat that is going on the the final round at NHC, so that shows that its not overly hoppy.

Check out themadfermentationist.com and look for his hoppy American wheat. I've used this recipe as inspiration for several beers - one that is now being brewed commercially.

Hope this was helpful! And either way, that's a solid recipe, so you'll make good beer.

Good one guys. I used the last of my magnum up and only have some CTZ and summit for big bittering hops. Would you sub one of those hops in for the centennial? I've actually never used centennial as a bittering hop, but I'm sitting on a lb of it...so I thought I'd give them a go on this one.

Do you think it'd help to stagger the late addition hops with Centennial and Amarillo, rather than just Amarillo?

Much like my grain, hops are quite limited here too. Along with the Amarillo and centennial, I've got some chinook, simcoe, ctz, and summit to work with too.

I hope your beer does well at the competition. Let me know how it goes, man!

Sounds delicious.

Depending on what you are going for - for me, Amarillo is a really strong "orange" for citrus. If that is what you want, I think this recipe will deliver. If you want something that tastes "citrus" without being one clear type of citrus, you could sub in a little cascade or other citrusy hop.

I wouldn't add any crystal. The wheat is supposed to be nice and crisp and a 50/50 pils/wheat blend is perfect for that.

One note though, wheat beers generally lead to worse efficiency numbers unless you can mill the wheat finer. You also should get some rice hulls since wheat tends to not drain well on its own. Use the low end of your normal efficiency when calculating your projected OG and tweak amounts accordingly.

Good one guys. I used the last of my magnum up and only have some CTZ and summit for big bittering hops. Would you sub one of those hops in for the centennial? I've actually never used centennial as a bittering hop, but I'm sitting on a lb of it...so I thought I'd give them a go on this one.

Do you think it'd help to stagger the late addition hops with Centennial and Amarillo, rather than just Amarillo?

Much like my grain, hops are quite limited here too. Along with the Amarillo and centennial, I've got some chinook, simcoe, ctz, and summit to work with too.

I hope your beer does well at the competition. Let me know how it goes, man!

I think that Simcoe goes very well with Amarillo. You could throw some Centennial in there as well, but I'd probably just go with Amarillo and Simcoe. I use Amarillo and Citra usually, and it's a very nice tropical/citrus flavor.

Centennial will be fine for bittering. Good luck with it. It'll be good beer. :rockin:

Back