Passion Fruit Ale (SPF Clone)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmd5700

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make a clone of Goose Island's SPF? They list their main ingredients, hops, etc. on their site but I don't even know where to start with proportions, hop timing, and how to get the passion fruit flavor in. I tried searching here and elsewhere and haven't found anything yet.

I've never tried this beer before . I played around with the ingredients they had on their website . I'm not sure if they really only used Amarillo hops but for the recipe I threw together I just used Amarillo. I tried to get the numbers as close to theirs. Probably rack over 5# of passion fruit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191227-193142_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20191227-193142_Grainfather.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 38
Thanks! I came up with something similar. Any reason you didn’t add hops until the last 15 minutes? I was thinking 1lb. (Or less) of passion fruit. I noticed their description also mentioned pineapple.

Attachments

• 0349D30E-9D5E-41B6-894C-64C580BC4610.png
    0349D30E-9D5E-41B6-894C-64C580BC4610.png
    517.5 KB · Views: 32
I just think Amarillo to being an aroma hop. Think the acids are low and putting in at 10, 5 and flameout gave me a tad over 17 ibu while not boiling off the nice aroma. I forgot about the pinnaple. Do they really only use Amarillo hops in that beer? I could see Galaxy , Enigma hops to bring passion fruit notes . When I've done fruit with brews the 1# per gallon seems to be good . If you just wanted a slight hint then I'd use less. You could do 1# pinnaple and 3 # passion fruit. The fruit will give that slight sour or tartness

Thanks! I was thinking I would just use the fruit to sour it a little. I might do a 1 gallon trial batch with .75lbs of passion fruit and .25lbs of pineapple. I assume I would put the fruit in secondary? Maybe pasteurize the fruit first?

Back