I am planning to buy this material for my pot...I need some help with it though..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
hi everyone

I am planning to make my own mash-bag from this material: voile fabric

I am wondering how much I need for a 45*45cm (17 inch*17inch) pot and if you guys find this material good enough to get?

Thanks for the info in advance.

I don't know about that material specifically, but there are definitely different thicknesses of the voile material out there. I bought some on Amazon and it was very thin. It got small tears after the first use. I then replaced it with the bag from Wilsner on here and his was much thicker and should last longer. So in the end, in trying to save money, I actually wasted money.

I don't know about that material specifically, but there are definitely different thicknesses of the voile material out there. I bought some on Amazon and it was very thin. It got small tears after the first use. I then replaced it with the bag from Wilsner on here and his was much thicker and should last longer. So in the end, in trying to save money, I actually wasted money.

Yeah, it happens many times to me too. Thanks for the info.

If you do go ahead and sew your own bag, basically you want to end up with a rectangle where the height is taller than your pot and the width is equal to a little more than half of your circumference.

Assuming your pot is 17" tall by 17" diameter, your bag would be taller than 17". Maybe 12" taller? So maybe 29 or 30". Basically you want enough to fold over the pot and enough to bunch up at the top so you can grab it.

For 17" diameter pot, the circumference is pi * 17" = 53.4", so you'd make the width half of that or 26.7", but you want it a little bigger. So maybe an inch or two bigger, so maybe 29". Basically the bag should be big enough to hold the pot and be taller.

And ideally it would have a "V" shape at the bottom so that when it's draining you get one stream and not 2 out the corners of the bag. This is Wilser's site where he sells his bags and you can see the shape I'm talking about.

Back