Partigyle a barleywine into a tropical stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up a barleywine later this month and want to partigyle the mash into a tropical stout. The barleywine is going to be pretty much all Maris Otter with a small amount of special B.

For a 5 gallon batch (4 gallons after boiling for 2 hours) I'll be using 15lb of maris otter. After sparging for the barleywine I'm planning on adding the following on top of the existing mash:

* 3lb maris otter
* 4oz carafa special III
* 4oz c10
* 4oz C80
* 4oz c120
* 4oz chocolate rye
* 4oz roasted barley
* 2oz special B

I'll then do a full infusion mash with about 5 gallons of water, aiming to mash for an hour at 156'F.

My question is to anyone who regularly partigyles... Does the 3lb of maris otter sound ok or do you think i'll need to get more? I just brewed a belgian dark strong with roughly the same amount of grain and ended up with 7 brix (~1.028) gravity at the end of sparge. My goal is to get a post boil gravity of around 1.060-1.065.

Usually when i partigyle i don't have any kind of style in mind but instead just use it to play around with sour or fruit additions. Trying to gauge how much grain to top off with is a little different for me. I guess I could always have some DME on hand in case i'm way under gravity.

The thing to remember with partigyling is that it involves blending first and second runnings, you don't make a smaller beer with just the second runnings. And once you've got your head round the idea that it's a blend, then it's fairly easy to work out the numbers once you have the gravities of the different runnings - it's just a question of crunching the gravity points and volumes.

A classic partigyle uses the same grist for both - I'd certainly mash all the base grain together.

Are you planning on just single infusion for the barleywine, run off, no sparge? If so, I'd plan for a thinner mash and near 55-60% efficiency when calculating a target OG (if you have one in mind). Maybe like 5.5-6 gallons for the mash then top off to target volume w/ H2O.

As far as extra grains, are you also going for 4 gallons for the second batch or 5? For that high of a target gravity w/ your second beer, I'd say probably go for 4-5# of MO.

Are you planning on just single infusion for the barleywine, run off, no sparge? If so, I'd plan for a thinner mash and near 55-60% efficiency when calculating a target OG (if you have one in mind). Maybe like 5.5-6 gallons for the mash then top off to target volume w/ H2O.

As far as extra grains, are you also going for 4 gallons for the second batch or 5? For that high of a target gravity w/ your second beer, I'd say probably go for 4-5# of MO.

I adjusted my BH efficiency in beersmith down to 60% (from my usual 68%). I usually batch sparge since I only have a 10 gallon mash tun. I was only aiming for 3 gallons of the tropical stout so I might be good with 3# of MO.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back