55gallon fermenter plan, any suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start running 30-45 gallon batches, and am getting my 55gallon food grade plastic drums with snaptop lids ready to be fermenters. I have always used co2 and a carboy caps in kegs and had good luck so i am planning on something similar for this size. My plan is to put a 3/8 flare fitting into the small hole on top of the drum and thread a 1/2" copper compression into the large cap. Ill punch the stop ring of the copper compression out and slide a 1/2 rigid copper dip tube through. the rigid copper would have a barb fitting to either 1/2 hose into the same rigid tube setup on a secondary fermenter or into a or 3/8 hose to fit my kegging setup. I'm planning to push everything around with co2 pressure on the same level(no height difference for siphoning) but it occurred to me pushing that much beer weight around with co2 might exceed the pressure that i want to put into a plastic drum and could end with me wearing a batch. Comments suggestions concerns ridicule and speculation are all welcome.

dye4me said:
I'm getting ready to start running 30-45 gallon batches, and am getting my 55gallon food grade plastic drums with snaptop lids ready to be fermenters. I have always used co2 and a carboy caps in kegs and had good luck so i am planning on something similar for this size. My plan is to put a 3/8 flare fitting into the small hole on top of the drum and thread a 1/2" copper compression into the large cap. Ill punch the stop ring of the copper compression out and slide a 1/2 rigid copper dip tube through. the rigid copper would have a barb fitting to either 1/2 hose into the same rigid tube setup on a secondary fermenter or into a or 3/8 hose to fit my kegging setup. I'm planning to push everything around with co2 pressure on the same level(no height difference for siphoning) but it occurred to me pushing that much beer weight around with co2 might exceed the pressure that i want to put into a plastic drum and could end with me wearing a batch. Comments suggestions concerns ridicule and speculation are all welcome.

You can push the beer with low psi (3-5) so you should be ok there. Try to look up max operating pressure with the manufacturer to be safe. At that volume I'd stick with 1/2" for the beer in/out or it will take you days. Also what size is your co2 bottle? I'd recommend a 20lb at a minimum or you'll be burning a bottle with every transfer.

I have always moved my beer with a wine transfer pump, never had any issues. You can partially flush the receiving vessel with CO2 to minimize oxygen.

Back