Partial to full mash recipe conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey brewers!

With a grain + extract recipe like this one: https://smallbatchbrew.com.au/recipes/cascade-double-ipa/

To make it a full grain recipe, is it as easy as swapping out the 1.35% extract for something like caramel grain or similar? Or is it a little more complicated than that...?

It'd probably be more like a portion of that is crystal malt, and the rest is base malt.

Still, with such a low % of that extract, it wouldn't really matter much in this case at all. It's an odd recipe for sure.

Well in general, for converting extract parts to all grain... though I did consult Google, and there's quite a few helpers online for working it out.

Well in general, for converting extract parts to all grain... though I did consult Google, and there's quite a few helpers online for working it out.

Oh, yes, I'm sure- but it's such a minute amount that it's almost immeasurable. What I mean is the amber DME is mostly all light extract, so the amount of crystal in the recipe is probably about 1/6 or less of that. so it's a very very tiny amount of crystal- practically none really, so I don't even understand the recipe with amber DME in it. Might as well have used all grain at the beginning, since less than 2% of anything is so negligible to not matter.

But for the larger question- any light extracts generally have about 90% base malt and the rest something like carapils, so can usually be converted simply to 1 pd grain=.6 pound DME =.75 pound LME.
Amber extracts have a bit of crystal malt in them, but unless the manufacturer specifies how much, it's a guess. With such a tiny bit of extract in that recipe, it may been something like .2% of the recipe is crystal malt, so that's why I said it is negligible. Most partial mash recipes have some reason for adding the extract, but I don't see one in that recipe- it's basically all grain as it stands.

Back