Regulator and kegerator help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have put the word out to my family that I am trying to put together a kegerator and they have been very helpful! So far I acquired two corny kegs, one 20lb and one 5lb co2 cylinder and I have a old fridge at home that I'm not using. Pretty good start. My Uncle called the other day and said he had a dual guage regulator, lines, four way distributor and some faucets for me. They have all been sitting in a box in his garage for at least 15 years and were all once used in a bar. My questions are-
Is it worth it to give the dispensers a good soak in PBW to clean them up and use them? Or am I better off buying new?
Should I replace any parts on the regulator? I ultimately want to have a double body regulator, one for carbing and one for dispensing. I hooked it up to a tank and it seemed to be working well. Held pressure and didnt leak.
I think I will just replace the lines. They look pretty rough.
I the four way worth cleaning up?
Here are some pictures to see the condition of the items.

image-3177923634.jpg

image-2004493796.jpg

image-3776290329.jpg

image-2722984862.jpg

Most of it is worth cleaning, yes... For the faucets, I'd check anywhere they have rubber/plastic seals, and replace all of those. They look like pretty standard faucets, so I think it's likely that you can easily find replacement parts. If not, spend the money for Perlick faucets instead of the standard rear-sealing.

But yeah, I'd say the shanks are worth cleaning, as is the distributor, and assuming the regulator still works, it's still going to get the job done.

I call this a hell of a score.

bwarbiany said:
Most of it is worth cleaning, yes... For the faucets, I'd check anywhere they have rubber/plastic seals, and replace all of those. They look like pretty standard faucets, so I think it's likely that you can easily find replacement parts. If not, spend the money for Perlick faucets instead of the standard rear-sealing.

But yeah, I'd say the shanks are worth cleaning, as is the distributor, and assuming the regulator still works, it's still going to get the job done.

I call this a hell of a score.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Back