Strilizing plactic buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So my brew buddy is getting 40 food grade 6.5 gallon plastic buckets from his job. They contained chemicals for testing water and have sealed screw lid just need to be drilled for an airlock. So my question is what the best and easiest way to sterilize these buckets.

I'm not sure what chemicals but they are good for the environment I just wanted to sterilize to get and leftover chemicals out

I'm not sure what chemicals but they are good for the environment I just wanted to sterilize to get and leftover chemicals out

Good for the environment does not necessarily mean good for human consumption. I would highly recommending finding out exactly what was in them.

46andbrew said:

Gotta be careful thinking like that. Salt is not only natural but vital to the environment. .. But at certain concentrations it is deadly. Unlike glass, plastic can absorb some chemicals. You absolutely HAVE to know what those compounds were and if they even can be completely removed from those buckets.

You cannot sterilize plastic, only sanitize it which for brewing is good enough. I agree with everyone else that you need to find out what was in them before using them.

So the chemical is calcium peroxide and calcium hydroxide in powder form what do u guys think. Safe to ferment in or?

So the chemical is calcium peroxide and calcium hydroxide in powder form what do u guys think. Safe to ferment in or?

Now you're getting somewhere. But at this point you need to talk to someone who has a good understanding of chemistry. I have seen some posts on this site from guys that seem to have a good background in the subject so, unless you get some educated feedback in this thread, I'd suggest you start a new thread asking for specific information about those compounds.

Another thing to consider in all this is what flavors your beer might pick up from the buckets. I know that even after I've cleaned my buckets with PBW and sanitized them with StarSan I can still detect the smell of the beer. That is telling me that the plastic has absorbed something from the beer. Now I don't mind having the flavor of beer in my beer, but I'm not so sure about the flavors that the bucket may absorbed in an earlier life.

Cheers!

Thanks for the MSDS on calcium chloride. The thing to keep in mind when dealing with an MSDS is that it is discussing the pure technical grade material, not necessarily the product grade that may have been in those buckets. I used the analogy of salt earlier and it holds true in this case as well...ever look at an MSDS for sodium (Na) or chloride (Cl)? They are the constituents of salt (NaCl) and they're both deadly poisonous. Yet salt, in trace amounts, is essential for life as we know it. Without it we would die.

The MSDS does state that trace amounts may be flushed down the drain. That tells me that the EPA chemists don't see this compound as much of a problem when it occurs in those trace amounts. If the material in those buckets was in powdered form then it can be rinsed down to trace amounts. So long as those buckets are now empty and rinsed we are most likely dealing with trace amounts. The big concerns remain whether the stuff can be adequately cleaned from the buckets and, if it can, will it leave any odors or tastes behind that might affect the beer.

I would really talk to a chemist about it. But from my cursory reading both compounds are used in both water treatment and food preparation.

Calcium Hydroxide is "slaked lime" which is used all over the food industry, INCLUDING brewery to adjust water chemistry.

Because of its low toxicity and the mildness of its basic properties, slaked lime is widely used in the food industry to:

separate sugar from sugarcane or sugar beets in the sugar industry, (see carbonatation)
process water for alcoholic beverages and soft drinks
pickle cucumbers and other foods
make Chinese century eggs
make corn tortillas (it helps the corn flour (masa) bind together)
clear a brine of carbonates of calcium and magnesium in the manufacture of salt for food and pharmaceutical uses
fortify (Ca supplement) fruit drinks, such as orange juice, and infant formula
aid digestion (used in India as paan, a mixture of areca nuts, calcium hydroxide and a variety of seeds wrapped in betel leaves)
substitute for baking soda in making papadam.

And calcium peroxide is use in flour production as well.

Calcium peroxide is manufactured to varying specifications and purity and can be used in different areas of industry and agriculture. In agriculture it is used as an oxygen fertilizer, and is also used in the presowing treatments of rice seed. Also, calcium peroxide has found use in the aquaculture industry as it is used to oxygenate and disinfect water, and in the ecological restoration industry as it is used in the treatment of soils. Calcium Peroxide is used in a similar manner to magnesium peroxide for environmental restoration programs. It is used to restore soil and groundwater contaminated with petroleum hydrocarbons by stimulating aerobic microbial degradation of the contaminants in a process known as Enhanced In-Situ Bioremediation.

As a food additive it has the E number E930 and is used as flour bleaching agent and improving agent.

Now I don't know about the two chemicals TOGETHER, being safe or not.

It begs another question. If Calcium Hydroxide is used to adjust water chemistry will the chemistry of the buckets be affected in anyway, that it affect the chemistry of the water used? Although not being toxic possibly, would it affect the flavor of the beer...(Think Chloramines occurring in the face of the interaction of chemical in water, plastics and chlorine bleach.) You might be affecting your beer's flavor.

I remember a thread on here by a chemist about using certain lab glassware like lab growlers folks might find, what the chemicals meant, what you needed to rinse/soak them with to render them usable.

Thanks for the great info I'm thinking of cleaning them the best i can and sanitizing them. Then brew I cheaper batch of beer just to see how it comes out. The warning labels on the buckets are very minor like " if ingested drink 2 glasses of water " and " if it's gets in your eyes just rinse " so it doesn't seam to be to serious. I mean the warning label on star San is much worse.

Latest posts

Back