my cider looks like a lava lamp in the bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewer62

Reaction score
So, first time making hard apple cider I thought all was well. Now after 2 weeks in the bottles it has developed a globule appearance, resembling a lava lamp. I am attaching pics, you can see it is clear at the top and the rest of it moves in the bottle like lava. Taste fine but is it safe to drink or has it gone bad? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_20130602_212510.jpg

IMG_20130602_212503.jpg

As long as it fermented out and tastes good, there shouldn't be anything in there that would be harmful to you. Most likely it's pectin.

If the globs freak you out, you could always run it through a coffee strainer or small sieve when going to glass, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Alright, pectin it is! It taste fine so I guess all is okay. I started a new batch on Sunday with a different yeast, a lager yeast, can I still add pectic enzyme? And it easily mixes together when pouring.
Thanks for your replies!

Alright, pectin it is! It taste fine so I guess all is okay. I started a new batch on Sunday with a different yeast, a lager yeast, can I still add pectic enzyme? And it easily mixes together when pouring.
Thanks for your replies!

Yes, pectic enzyme is one additive which can be used during any stage of the process. If unused, as in add too much, it just drops out in the lees. You should check out 'keeving' if you want to see a strange thing related to pectin; a keeved cider is probably one of the best things I have ever consumed.

I usually add the pectic enzyme to a bit of water. Not sure it's necessary, mostly makes me feel like it will mix better that way--I can mix it in with the water then just drop it in, instead of powder just sitting at the top of my fermentor.

If you do that, make sure you use cold water, as hot water can neutralize the enzyme and it won't do anything.

How long did you wait before bottling? With the way the top is clear and the bottom is still cloudy, I would guess you bottled a bit too soon...a lot of that will fall out over time.

Back