Dry hoppng in keg - how much aroma will release in one day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynobyte

Reaction score
I have an IPA I've brewed for a competition where I'll actually be serving the entire 5 gallon batch from a keg. I just finished dry hopping for 14 days in a secondary & kegged the beer to begin carbonating. The brew didn't have the aroma I was hoping it would when I transferred to the keg, so I'm thinking of dry hopping in the keg. I'll be out of town for a week prior to the competition, returning the day before and actually less than 24hrs before I'll have to start serving. If I dry hop the night before serving will I get any aroma? Should I dry hop right before I go out of town and end up dry hopping for a week? Does it matter if I use pellets or whole leaf hops relative to the amount of aroma? Thanks

Dry hopping for a week in the keg will be no problem, it's actually ideal. I leave my dry hops in throughout serving (a month plus) and have no problems. Only thing to be careful of if you are transporting and then serving from the keg is if to ensure that the crap in the bottom of the keg has a chance to settle out before serving.

If you can dry hop warmer until you have to leave and then put it in the kegerator to carb up cool.

OP didn't specify how many ounces and what hop, but I'd recommend 3-4 days max. Any more, and depending on the hop, you may begin to impart grassy smells, rather than the more friendly attractive floral smells. Just my experience. I'd also recommend more hops for shorter than less for longer in principle.

Back