Lack of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphit

Reaction score
I usually brew all grain but got some dried malt extract from a buddy. Just got done brewing it last night and got it into my fermenter. This morning I checked on it and it looks like it is lacking fermentation. I pitched my yeast at about 73degrees. Any thoughts???

Yes two thoughts....The sticky at the top of the beginner's forum states "Fermentation can take between 24 and 72 hours." And the second one is, remember the ONLY activity that means anything is a drop in gravity, not airlocks or even krausen formation. Use your hydrometer to tell you whether or not anything's really going on. But since it's too soon to worry, don't do anything til it's been 72 hours, THEN take a grav reading.

Agreed... It is WAY too soon to get worried. You don't say what kind of yeast or how much you pitched. If you pitched way too little I wouldn't be surprised if you see nothing for another couple of days.

Yes two thoughts....The sticky at the top of the beginner's forum states "Fermentation can take between 24 and 72 hours." And the second one is, remember the ONLY activity that means anything is a drop in gravity, not airlocks or even krausen formation. Use your hydrometer to tell you whether or not anything's really going on. But since it's too soon to worry, don't do anything til it's been 72 hours, THEN take a grav reading.

Sticky? What's a sticky?
;)

I forgot what yeast I pitched. I have it written down. Ill look when I get home. Also enough for a 5gallon mix.

Patience is your friend, also no visible signs of fermentation doesn't mean that fermentation didn't start.
Bubbles are just CO2 escaping from solution and fermentation is much more than that, also before any further action be sure to take gravity reading.

Good news fellow brews. You were right. Just needed to be a little patient. Came home from work today a boom. Activity going on in the fermenter and bubbles in the blow off.

Revvy said:
That thing no-one looks at, that usually contains all the answers. ;)

To be fair, it's pretty easy to overlook them on mobile devices. I'm on here 99% of the time on phone or iPad and I have a hard time remembering that they're there. Always amused when I rediscover them!

Back