Wyeast 3711 - Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I attached two photos of a Saison fermenting with W3711 two days after pitching. I've never used this yeast before & was wondering if this looks normal.

image-2591355594.jpg

image-2218696331.jpg

I've just never seen these big airy bubbles during fermentation before.

And I made a yeast starter in the same flask as Roselare. (of course the flask was cleaned & sanitized; even boiled some water in the flask before using).

***This post is to serve as record keeping for me & "reporting" for others who might be interested***

As an update, I took a gravity reading today (day 12) & of course tasted the sample.

SG was 1.045
FG was 1.002

I've read that 3711 could go that low, but I wasn't really expecting it!

The hydrometer sample was very pleasant. Not much "funkiness" but it seemed to be a pretty decent saison.

This was my first beer in my STC-1000 controlled chest freezer. I started at 65*F and ramped it to 68F upon evidence of krausen, then 1* per day till 75*F. Krausen never really got "big" (only about an inch or so above the wort) and settled pretty rapidly (by day 5).

This was a BIAB batch. I used a starter. I used pure O2 for about 45 seconds.

I'm gonna let it sit at 70F until day 21, take another reading then package.

Back