OK, so this is going to be pretty highly carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Was kind of tired last night when I bottled my saison. I wanted a high level of carbonation, plugged some numbers in a calculator. Came up with 4 oz corn sugar. This is a 3 gallon batch, that is, 3 gallons went into bottles. Didn't really think about it any more til this morning. FWIW it was definitely done primary fermentation (1.002 after 3 weeks). So...do i need to encase the beer in a bomb-proof shelter or do you think I'm OK? *nervous laugh*

:D

Im pretty new at this but from what Ive read, if you are worried you need to test every few days until the desired carbonation is achieved then either chill it or pasturize it to kill the yeast. Then they will become bombs.

I have been reading a lot in the cider forums so it might not work the same for beer.

:)

You put 40% more in than what you should have " I think" I would open them all in a week or 2 and re cap them wear some PPE as well this will clear the head space, "I think":smack: If you chill them early you will taste sugar in your beer. It will cause the yeast slow and stop the sugar will have not fermented out yet.

Thanks guys. I haven't been doing this too long either. Well in retrospect, Jamil Zainasheff says to carb between 3.0 and 3.5 vol CO2. Using the TastyBrew bottle priming calculator, it calls for 3.9oz of corn sugar for 3 gallons at 72 degrees to get 3.25 volumes! Guess its not so bad after all. Man, its been a long couple days.

Back