4 batches into my brewing obsession, i go all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
I was intimidated at first, and then a new friend of mine showed me how easy it really is. The hard part is figuring out how to make a recipe.

It's not that hard. There are plenty of recipe-building programs out there. You might want to start by brewing a known recipe, perhaps something from your LHBS or off a suppliers website.

I recommend reading Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beer.

Most important of all, you need to know your ingredients. Consider starting with a SMaSH -- single malt and single hop. Then add one grain and/or one hop for your second brew. This way, you can really start to get an idea of what the different ingredients will do. It also allows you to focus more on your technique than on the recipe.

What I don't recommend is starting off with something complex. If it doesn't turn out quite the way you wanted, it is hard to figure out what went wrong.

^ very good advice. I use BrewSmith, which is available for download and even has a free trial period before you have to buy the key. It will help by making complex calculations for you. Once you have a couple batches under your belt and know your efficiency then it will be even more accurate.

I can't sound the "K-I-S-S" gong enough. When I see recipes with a confusing number of grains and as many different hops it makes my butt pucker. Sometimes these ingredients actually do the opposite of what they would want for the beer--like adding flaked barley to a beer that is supposed to settle clear.

Also, resist the biggest disease to strike new homebrewers. It's the "if a little is good, more must be better" mentality. I don't mean batch size with this, but the amount of an ingredient used. Somethings that are great in small amounts, a large amount of it might just make something that even your toilet won't want to swallow.

Finally, learn the basics of beer and of your ingredients. People have been brewing beer for thousands of years and the ancients seem to have been pretty good at it. Some things always work; some things work under certain conditions; some things never work--and likely never will. This isn't meant to squelch your creativity, but learn the rules and why they are there, then you can start breaking them. The best and most creative musicians study the theory (rules) of music. This teaches them what will and will not work so they can be creative within this framework. While they appear to be breaking all the rules they are actually just stretching them to their very limits.The same goes for brewing. Some things will always taste bad no matter how many times people try them. Learn these and then express your creativity within this framework. If you think you are going to totally reinvent brewing, you won't. If you waste a lot of time and money on ingredients or recipes that would gag a goat you will only get discouraged. This is homebrewing so feel free to break the rules, but you have to know them first.

Retief,

I was in the same boat. My first recipe was an extract from my buddy saying "go buy this and that and some of these". My next recipe was an partial mash kit. My third brew was an extract lager (epic fail realized three months later). My fourth brew was an all grain that turned out great. I have never looked back.

As hercher and cluckk said, keep it simple from the start. There are plenty of simple recipes which turn out great beer IF your processes are solid which leads me to...

work on getting your processes down. If you are like me initially you will be doing the various steps because it is what you were told to do. Later you will begin to understand the science behind the madness you do.

Use a high level of attention to detail. Temperatures, gravity readings, and all the other numbers are important. Pay attention to them and record them for future use. If a beer is good there is a reason. If a beer is bad or not what you wanted to brew there is a reason. You can determine this by looking at your numbers IF you have the data. I have said it before and I will say it again. A monkey can make beer. A highly trained monkey can make great beer. Yet the trick is to be able to replicate your success and create the same great taste the next time.

Good Luck!!!!

You made it one longer than I. I did three batches before going all grain. No shame in using tried and true recipes or even quality all grain kits to learn the process and your new system. Not every batch has to be some great new creation from the dark corners of your mind.

i'm in the same boat mate, and now i do BIAB. only done three brews and they have been simple but fantastic.

download brewmate, a free brew tool that is perfect - http://brewmate.net/

start with simple smash recipes, or simple pale ale recipes with one hop and you'll be there in no time :)

I'd like to add one thing about the KISS mantra -- it isn't just for beginners. After nearly 20 years of homebrewing, my best beers still are those with at most 3-4 grains and 2 varieties of hops.

And above all -- the most important piece of advice: not every beer turns out great. Some just turn out OK. Don't be discouraged by that. Even an OK beer can be a pleasure to drink. Brew for yourself, not to impress others.

And welcome to the obsession. Your life may never be the same.

Back