The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, you just need to make your own pancetta, grow your own tomatos/basil, make the sauce, make the dough, cook the pizza in a brick oven, and have with a homebrew. Easy peasy. :D

Pellet grills only go to 500 (the good ones). I take it brick ovens go much higher? Does that mean the pizza just takes longer to cook, or that the crust won't be crispy?

...uh oh...;)

I think that headbanger may disagree...

Cromwell said:
So, you just need to make your own pancetta, grow your own tomatos/basil, make the sauce, make the dough, cook the pizza in a brick oven, and have with a homebrew. Easy peasy. :D

Pellet grills only go to 500 (the good ones). I take it brick ovens go much higher? Does that mean the pizza just takes longer to cook, or that the crust won't be crispy?

My pellet grill goes to 600 and might even get hotter in spots. The brick wood fired ovens can get over 1100. I use an IR thermometer and measured over 1100 (but less than 1200) in the dome, and over 800 (but less than 900) on the floor. This is really darn hot. The pepperoni cooks faster than the dough. Attached pic I believe was from the night it was that hot. Typically I don't intentionally get it that hot for pizza, but fire does what it will, and its hard to regulate temp to some degree.

Raw bacon. Hmm. That seems like a colossally bad idea. I imagine bacon grease spilling everywhere, or worse, undercooked bacon or overcooked cheese with properly cooked bacon.

Post some pics from your wood fired oven with raw bacon if anyone tries. It, would like to see before I try.

Will try the Monterrey jack sometime.

Thanks!

TD

image-1481536697.jpg

The highest setting on mine is 600 but that is the temp on the indirect side. If I max out the temp and feed settings on my pellet grill it will easily reach 1000 + on the fire pot side.

My pellet grill goes to 600 and might even get hotter in spots. The brick wood fired ovens can get over 1100. I use an IR thermometer and measured over 1100 (but less than 1200) in the dome, and over 800 (but less than 900) on the floor. This is really darn hot. The pepperoni cooks faster than the dough. Attached pic I believe was from the night it was that hot. Typically I don't intentionally get it that hot for pizza, but fire does what it will, and its hard to regulate temp to some degree.

Raw bacon. Hmm. That seems like a colossally bad idea. I imagine bacon grease spilling everywhere, or worse, undercooked bacon or overcooked cheese with properly cooked bacon.

Post some pics from your wood fired oven with raw bacon if anyone tries. It, would like to see before I try.

Will try the Monterrey jack sometime.

Thanks!

TD

Hey TD which pellet grill are you using there?

headbanger said:
Hey TD which pellet grill are you using there?

MAK 4 star. I've never done pizza in it though. Have a circular stone I might try someday if I'm too lazy to fire up the wood burning pizza oven.

Some guys remove the heat deflector and cook directly over the firepot. I've never done this (yet). Probably wont ever either..

I think my sourdough is coming around again, need to get a calendar and be sure I feed it more regularly.
What I did was skim the pellicle off kinda red colored. Dip a clean tablespoon into center of the culture and scoop out, then add that to fresh container with water and flour. I did a pretty thin mix 2/3 cup flour and filled to about the 2 cup mark on the container. Added about another third cup flour after 24 hours, and looking pretty good at about 48 hours. I'll probably ramp it up for some baking this weekend. Maybe make some pizza dough too while I am at it.

TD

Hey LaFinDuMonde. Where did you get that oven? I thought I read this entire thread, but I can't find the source.

Hey LaFinDuMonde. Where did you get that oven? I thought I read this entire thread, but I can't find the source.

I bought it from Los Angeles Ovenworks. Click on that link and then on the Pre assembled tab. They have two options: the Model 60 and Model 70. I have the 60 only because the 70 was not an option last year. I absolutely love the 60 but, given the choice, I would get the 70.

-Mike

Thank you! Great info. I'm cooking indoors in a 36" Thermador w a Fibrament stone, but I'd like an outdoors option.

Here is the final resting place for my new wood fired oven. I'm only posting it to show that this oven is perfect for those of us with small yards. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time, we use it all the time. Another benefit of its small size is that it heats up real quick.

The Farmhouse Table I made from salvaged shipping pallets. :D

-Mike

130427_BBQclass_062_zps02cf7d01.jpg

Totally jealous. My dream is to be able to walk out my back door with a glass of beer and a fishing pole.

Here's my very simple, thick and chewy pizza that I make.

2.75 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp dry yeast

I throw in some garlic powder and dry herbs just to make it interesting.

I mix all the dry stuff up and throw in a cup of water.

Add a little bit of water or a pinch of flour to adjust it until it seems like dough should seem.

Mix it up, dump it out on the counter and be mean to it for a little while but not too long.

Turn the oven on. Whatever temperature it's on is fine. It's like oven roulette.

Drizzle a little olive oil in a stainless steel bowl.

Plop the dough ball in it and swirl it around a little bit.

Throw a damp towel on it, turn the oven off and put the bowl inside. The residual warmth of the oven will help it rise.

Watch TV for 20 minutes. If you have netflix, that's just right to watch a 30 minute show without the commercials.

Take the dough out of the oven, throw it on the counter and be meant to it some more while the oven preheats to 450.

Make the dough flat, pound out the air bubbles and stick it on a sheet pan and put stuff on it.

Cook it until the bottom is light brown. Should be about 15 minutes.

I have a similar recipe to yours but with a tablespoon of olive oil added to the dough.

My method is basically this

Follow a dough recipe (don't whole wheat and AP so I'm not gonna just say a recipe)

Let yeast bloom for about 10 minutes in warm water (110 F) with sugar (or a replaceable amounts of honey, dme, whatever) for 10 minutes add salt and olive oil and stir.

Add the flour in stages (I usually do 1 cup at a time)

When it starts fully coming together turn out onto a well floured surface and knead the dough for at least 5 minutes. I push for 10.

Let rest for an hour covered in a towel

After hour rest punch down the dough and then divide it if you want thin crust pizza or keep it as one hunk for a thick crust pizza. Let rise for another 30-45 minutes.

At this point you're ready to make your dough. I'm still in the process of trying to learn how to properly toss dough but you can just roll it out with a rolling pin then gently stretch it a little further.

I have been drooling over this thread since the day it started, sooo many pretty pizzas! so the other day i went to bed bath and beyond and picked up a stone and a peel. I made dough the night before and left it in the fridge. Turned out pretty good for my first attempt, now i can only go up! and thanks to all of you i am now addicted to another hobby :smack:

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

pizza3.jpg

I was on a road trip this weekend and found that my destination was within walking distance of Marc at brickovenbaker.com. Saved on shipping by picking up a 55 lb bag of Antimo Caputo Pizzeria Flour. Hopefully that will keep me in pizzas until I get back there next year.

I was on a road trip this weekend and found that my destination was within walking distance of Marc at brickovenbaker.com. Saved on shipping by picking up a 55 lb bag of Antimo Caputo Pizzeria Flour. Hopefully that will keep me in pizzas until I get back there next year.
Wow, that might last me the rest of my life!

Do you guys have any good tricks to get the pizza off of the peel and into the oven?

I always ruin my pie in that process
As mentioned, parchment paper works great. I just trim it just a little bigger than the pizza and any burning is minimized.

Awesome thread. Last night we made a wild mushroom, ricotta, and arugula pie, and if I knew about this thread I would have snapped a pic. Instead, here's a recent margherita pizza I made with homemade sauce, homemade mozzarella, and homegrown basil (and homemade dough too, of course).

IMG_2776.jpg

We have an overachiever here!!!!

Welcome to the thread.

You need to let us know how the homemade cheese contributes to the pie...

Looks like a great pie.

TD

Thanks! The homemade cheese on the pie was more of an experiment than a regular favorite (hence commemorating it with a pic). It's a mild, "clean" mozzarella flavor, if that makes any sense, which was the perfect background to the super fresh basil and tomato-y tomato sauce. I wanted sparse, distinct flavors on the pie, and that's what I got.

Texturally, it didn't quite do the ooey gooey thing that we usually expect from mozzarella, but I didn't miss it. I had some trouble getting the cheese to come together without losing too much moisture, but I think that comes with practice.

Ultimately I decided that while mozzarella isn't too terribly difficult to make, its contribution to the pie wasn't remarkable enough to compel me to forsake Trader Joe's ovolines in a pinch.

That said, homemade cheese is totally worth doing for fresh dishes where its mild flavor and delicate texture can shine without being warped in an oven. One of my favorites is a simple salad with just tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt.

Aidells italian chicken sausage and peppers on a foccacia like thick crust. Fantastic.

Dipped the crust in olive oil with fresh crushed garlic, salt and pepper....AMAZING.....

ForumRunner_20130521_153802.png

Back