Using well water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dconway10

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used well water while making beer? Reason I'm asking is because my first batch of beer ever brewed did not turn out good. I used a Midwest supplies American light 20 minute boil kit. I followed the directions and made sure everything was cleaned with oxy clean and sanitized with starsan. I used dry yeast a plastic bucket for primary and a better bottle for secondary. I described the taste as plastic and had two others try it and they described it as sour. I've been brewing wine for awhile and used well water with them but haven't had any off flavors. My temperature stayed around the mid to upper 60's except for one day I left the heater on too high and the temp got up to 77 while in the secondary but only for a day. Does anyone have any ideas of what could've happened?

Just a wild thought.... Was this the first time the bucket and/or better bottle were used? If so, possibly some residue from before you purchased it?

I'm using un-softened, un-treated well water, and my beers and wines are good, in the opinions of me and all of whom I share with. Of course, well water will vary from region to region, :eek: so my experience will be of absolutely no help to you.

Both bucket and better bottle were used before. The water taste fine to me and when the things I've read about plastic taste points to chlorine in the water I wouldn't think my well water would have chlorine in it

I have a cream stout I'm going to bottle tonight. I didn't use a bucket and carboy for that one I just put it straight into a better bottle. If this one comes out bad I guess I will start using bottled water

The only way we can give a real answer is if you have a water report from both your drinking water and the well water.
You can send samples to Ward Labs for $16 a pop.

I'm on a well, and don't do anything to the water. But I have been getting a fair amount of beerstone in my primaries for the past 8-9 batches, so I finally decided to send in a sample to Ward's. Should be getting the report back soon.
From what I've read, American Light beers are difficult to do without getting off flavors, so it might be better to stick to brown ales,irishreds,porters, or hoppy ales until you get your techniques down pat.
On the other hand, oftentimes what tastes off in the 1st couple of bottles, get much better with a little more time.

I am thinking of getting my well water tested as the couple of smaller, lighter beers I have made seem to have a bit of a sour taste to them. The bigger beers do not have that so that leads me to believe my water has maybe a mineral issue. Water tastes excellent though...

What is 'beerstone'?

unionrdr said:
Did you use bleach solution or sodium percarbonate to clean or sanitize? That's have the samwe effect.

I only use oxy clean for cleaning and starsan for sanitizing my equipment. I clean all my equipment after I'm done then on brew days I clean all my equipment again then sanitize.

JimRausch said:
I'm on a well, and don't do anything to the water. But I have been getting a fair amount of beerstone in my primaries for the past 8-9 batches, so I finally decided to send in a sample to Ward's. Should be getting the report back soon.
From what I've read, American Light beers are difficult to do without getting off flavors, so it might be better to stick to brown ales,irishreds,porters, or hoppy ales until you get your techniques down pat.
On the other hand, oftentimes what tastes off in the 1st couple of bottles, get much better with a little more time.

Yea I'm not gonna dump it yet. Ill let it sit for awhile and periodically check to see if they get any better. I bottled a cream stout last night that I used well water and the same process so I should know in about 2 weeks when I sample if I have the same problem. I'm going to try to find somewhere in the St. Louis area to get my water tested. Thanks everyone for the input

Definitely test your water. I am on a well here in Colorado and get very tasty, clear water from my well but it does not make a good beer if left untreated. It took me a while to figure it out.

Once I had my water tested I found that it was high in alkalinity and bicarbonates. The water made good browns and stouts, but anything lighter was terrible. I now use the Bru'n water spreadsheet created by Martin Brungard:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

I use direct acid additions now to reduce pH and bicarbonates. I am an all grain brewer.

CJ

Did you use a campden tablet in the brew? I know you said you didn't expect chlorine, but that would be a good way to neutralize it just in case.

I am thinking of getting my well water tested as the couple of smaller, lighter beers I have made seem to have a bit of a sour taste to them. The bigger beers do not have that so that leads me to believe my water has maybe a mineral issue. Water tastes excellent though...

What is 'beerstone'?

concretions of white crystals. I believe they are predominantly Calcium Oxalate, so I suppose it means my well water has too much calcium. From what I've read, most people find it in their Brew Kettles, but with me it has been on the bottom of my primary fermenter.
Just finished checking on 'beerstone' in the 'Brew Science' part of the forum. Beerstone= Calcium Oxalate, I got that part right. But it probably means I don't have enough calcium in my well water. And beerstone that precipitates in the fermenter is no problem, and much better than oxalate crystals in your kidneys!

Just an update. I bottled my cream stout a week ago and threw one in the fridge to sample tonight and it turned out pretty darn good with no off flavors. I used well water with this one also but instead of doing two stage fermentation I just put it in a carboy for 2 weeks.

I now use untreated well water for brewing, no complaints yet. I used to use reverse osmosis from the same well, but there have been no obvious differences...

I have a southwestern Arizona well at 720 feet deep. The water table is at 580 feet, I am drawing water at 640 feet. For my area this makes for some relatively hard water with some calcium, lime, and salts. This has been confirmed by a water quality test (which you should do if you have not). I don't notice anything objectionable in my brews.

I use well water. First from one place with pretty awful water, now from a new place with good water. All beers from both were okay to good.

Also use water flowing from a pipe sticking out of a mountain. Good results.

Profiles are going to be different, but man I would thing wells would default better than muni water because of the lack of chlorine.

mike_in_ak said:
Also use water flowing from a pipe sticking out of a mountain. Good results.

I draw water from a stream just as it falls from the water wheel that drives my grain mill. Thinking of drawing water just upstream of the wheel in the future...

Back