Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glepley

Reaction score
How can I be sure my beer is oxidized? Assuming dark color and off taste! My beer looks weird. If it is oxidized it’s ok to drink correct?

Oxidation presents in various ways....darker beer is one symptom. Oxidized flavor may taste like cardboard, or maybe sherry. If it's an IPA, oxidation will destroy hoppy flavors and aromas.

It isn't going to hurt you, so drink away.

Many homebrewers assume "my beer doesn't taste like a piece of wet cardboard so it's not oxidized". They often figure a flaw has to be intense or textbook to be present.

Oxidation is present in all beer. All of it. The question is to what extent. The actual oxidative reactions with oxygen happen VERY rapidly, but the byproducts of it we can identify can take longer to show. Even the best commercial beers will show it with time. In the case of cellaring, that's actually what you want. And the brewers job is to minimize oxidation, and increase shelf life in the process.

As said, oxidation presents in a lot of forms. Not just sherry or cardboard, but dull, muted, or sweetness can come up with oxidation. These are all different chemical pathways of different compounds as they oxidize.

But darkening is certainly an indication of oxidation occurring.

dark color and off taste!
Any chance you added malt extract to your kettle without turning off the heat?
It's a short list of things that cause darkening.

On the other hand, off flavors could come from any step in the process or from any of the ingredients. Could you be any more specific about how it tastes off?

Many homebrewers assume "my beer doesn't taste like a piece of wet cardboard so it's not oxidized". They often figure a flaw has to be intense or textbook to be present.

Oxidation is present in all beer. All of it. The question is to what extent. The actual oxidative reactions with oxygen happen VERY rapidly, but the byproducts of it we can identify can take longer to show. Even the best commercial beers will show it with time. In the case of cellaring, that's actually what you want. And the brewers job is to minimize oxidation, and increase shelf life in the process.

As said, oxidation presents in a lot of forms. Not just sherry or cardboard, but dull, muted, or sweetness can come up with oxidation. These are all different chemical pathways of different compounds as they oxidize.

But darkening is certainly an indication of oxidation occurring.

Thanks for that. It was a great way to explain oxidation.

I'll point out here that beer in the fermentation vessel looks a LOT darker than it will in your glass. I've had pilsners in the carboy that looked almost like ambers, but in the glass were light gold and beautiful. Has to do with volume and light refraction and stuff. Not necessarily oxidation.

Then I'll ask, what is the off-flavor you're tasting? Wet cardboard, bandaid-y, "hot" (as in alcohol bite, similar to what you get sipping straight whisky or vodka), what have you? That will help us determine what your issue might be. Also, fermentation temperature, recipe, process. Let us know.

Back