If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paramedic, with a focus on wilderness rescue. Best job in the world. I actually get paid to climb, hike, and play in the river!

image-711287476.jpg

image-2327925092.jpg

image-746354767.jpg

Almost finished! And almost all salvage. Heart of Eastern Red Cedar, Black Walnut, walnut compass, (all trees from clearing/storm damage) surround with white oak, 3 band, spalted red oak, 5 band, white oak, with the black walnut, heart of eastern red cedar, pin stripped oak and antique heart of pine, trimmed with oak. The N is for Nautalis and is from an oak Burl, giving a change of grain pattern. The driftwood base juxtaposes the finished top playing with the rough seas, with shiny new brass screws. This was a fun one, hope it sells. Just got a new commission for a metal top table, can't wait to bust out the MIG!

Fun part was playing with the numbers, even/odd, I like sneaking in Masonic stuff, hahaha aha

Currently do some freelance brewing industry consulting, not exactly great for pics... but here is one from '96; opening day of the first place I served as brewmaster (me in white shirt). If a current plan is hatched (should know by the end of the month), I will have the boots on again very soon... :D

George&Mickey copy.jpg

View attachment 121618

Almost finished! And almost all salvage. Heart of Eastern Red Cedar, Black Walnut, walnut compass, (all trees from clearing/storm damage) surround with white oak, 3 band, spalted red oak, 5 band, white oak, with the black walnut, heart of eastern red cedar, pin stripped oak and antique heart of pine, trimmed with oak. The N is for Nautalis and is from an oak Burl, giving a change of grain pattern. The driftwood base juxtaposes the finished top playing with the rough seas, with shiny new brass screws. This was a fun one, hope it sells. Just got a new commission for a metal top table, can't wait to bust out the MIG!

Fun part was playing with the numbers, even/odd, I like sneaking in Masonic stuff, hahaha aha

VERY COOL!!! love wood work.

foolin' around with some pop cans and a chrome-moly pull test piece I did at Lincoln Electric HQ in Cleveland, MOST pull tests fracture on the bluish line farthest from the weld. My instructor said he'd only seen about 1 in a 100 break like mine did. It took 16 tons to break it!

popcan.jpg

pulltest.jpg

ForumRunner_20130516_190424.jpg

ForumRunner_20130516_190447.jpg

I'm an electrician, and love my job! The one pic is of some awesome stairs in a 10,000 Sq ft house I did last year. The lights worked out awesome. Cool what you can do with $10k for lighting alone on the stairs.

The other is a live 400A fuse box I was measuring. It's weird. It looks like some hunks of metal, but you through some pliers in there and you'd be delivered to the morgue in burnt pieces. There's enough juice in a relatively small guy like this one that short circuiting two of the wires would literally be like a bomb going off. Electricity is kinda scary once you understand it well, yet really cool! I've making stuff work.

I'm hoping in a few years this will all be a past life, trying to get onto the local police service!

rhoop said:
I'm an electrician, and love my job! The one pic is of some awesome stairs in a 10,000 Sq ft house I did last year. The lights worked out awesome. Cool what you can do with $10k for lighting alone on the stairs.

The other is a live 400A fuse box I was measuring. It's weird. It looks like some hunks of metal, but you through some pliers in there and you'd be delivered to the morgue in burnt pieces. There's enough juice in a relatively small guy like this one that short circuiting two of the wires would literally be like a bomb going off. Electricity is kinda scary once you understand it well, yet really cool! I've making stuff work.

I'm hoping in a few years this will all be a past life, trying to get onto the local police service!

Those are some sweet freaking stairs!! So, you're saying just the lighting ALONE on those stairs cost $10k?!!! That's ridiculous!!

You're right about electricity!! Real dangerous, yet real cool and exciting at the same time!! The power panel I have a pic of in my post is a 1600A, 480V panel. That furnace would probably levitate if we didn't bolt it to the ground!!! (Just a running joke in our company, but sometimes I wonder...)

Holy crap! I'm fairly certain that panel would levitate! I dont really do any industrial scale electrical, but from what I have seen, there is some awesome stuff that blows my mind out there.

There is three stories, with six sets of stairs in that house. Each step has two high end LED lights and they're about $150 each installed. Plus the dimming and control system for the stairs alone. We added it up and it was around $10k. I heard from the stair guy the stairs themselves were over $80. Each set was custom built with the same wood as the hardwood floors to blend seamlessly. And no veneer or fillers, they're solid. Incredible. I wish I had $100k to spend on stairs. I wouldn't spend it on stairs...

It's always fun playing with expensive toys when it's other people's money! I mean $100k for stairs? In a residence? Damn!

It is a lot of fun playing with other people's money! And ya, $100k just on the stairs at their house.

Bottlebomber, you did strike me as someone who couldn't live without walking on heated, gold plated stairs polished by the hands of five young virgins every day. ;)

rhoop said:
Bottlebomber, you did strike me as someone who couldn't live without walking on heated, gold plated stairs polished by the hands of five young virgins every day. ;)

You totally got me :D

Paramedic, with a focus on wilderness rescue. Best job in the world. I actually get paid to climb, hike, and play in the river!

I have great respect for the SAR teams that help out climbers. I have not ever needed the services of them, but I know some people who have. Although, I did fall about 60 feet, stopping about 10 feet above the ground, at the New River Gorge. FUN TIMES!

Some days are NOT better than others. I spent yesterday and most of today building a couple of small stainless round hoppers with reducing cones inside them. Sure I look at the prints 500 times a day and never noticed the inlet was on the wrong the side of the access door! Fitting them up was a *****! The cnc laser had bad programming or something. They etch the flat parts with the door location before they are rolled. Somehow they etched the wrong side of the flat part, so when it went to the roller, it got rolled backwards. I never noticed. Some other guys working on more of the order noticed theirs were wrong and checked the rest of ours, to find out I wasted about 18 hrs of labor... :( I hate it when that happens cuz I feel really stupid for not catching the mistake before some one else did. Oh well, stuff happens.

T_Baggins said:
Some days are NOT better than others. I spent yesterday and most of today building a couple of small stainless round hoppers with reducing cones inside them. Sure I look at the prints 500 times a day and never noticed the inlet was on the wrong the side of the access door! Fitting them up was a *****! The cnc laser had bad programming or something. They etch the flat parts with the door location before they are rolled. Somehow they etched the wrong side of the flat part, so when it went to the roller, it got rolled backwards. I never noticed. Some other guys working on more of the order noticed theirs were wrong and checked the rest of ours, to find out I wasted about 18 hrs of labor... :( I hate it when that happens cuz I feel really stupid for not catching the mistake before some one else did. Oh well, stuff happens.

You're right. That stuff does happen. More than I'd like. It happens in our shop too. I run a cnc plasma table and do the programming for it too. I also am the engineer that designs the component. So if something is wrong, it's usually my fault. That sucks. Once in a while our fabricator will interpret the drawings wrong, but again, I make the drawings. So obviously I didn't make them clear enough. It's rough, but it happens. I had some guys fabricate a pipe spool today and they didn't believe my drawing was right so they took their own measurements and fooked it all up. Turns out my drawing was spot on. When that happens, ya got to call a spade a spade. They felt bad and apologized to me, but it didn't bother me! They're noobs so it didn't surprise me. I actually thought it was kinda funny. In my own demented, twisted way! :-D

You're right. That stuff does happen. More than I'd like. It happens in our shop too. I run a cnc plasma table and do the programming for it too. I also am the engineer that designs the component. So if something is wrong, it's usually my fault. That sucks. Once in a while our fabricator will interpret the drawings wrong, but again, I make the drawings. So obviously I didn't make them clear enough. It's rough, but it happens. I had some guys fabricate a pipe spool today and they didn't believe my drawing was right so they took their own measurements and fooked it all up. Turns out my drawing was spot on. When that happens, ya got to call a spade a spade. They felt bad and apologized to me, but it didn't bother me! They're noobs so it didn't surprise me. I actually thought it was kinda funny. In my own demented, twisted way! :-D

That's spot on man! The problem with our engineers is, that's all they do. They don't do any of REAL work so they don't see what wee see...all they see is numbers and lines! I think engineers should have prerequisite requirement of at least 3 yrs fab/weld experience!

shutupjojo said:
I have a hardwood flooring business. I do this every day and love it.
My back doesn't though. :cross:

Nice job!! I've not been a fanfic hardwood floors, but those look so nice, I'm coming around!

Man-with-feet-on-desk.jpg

Some days I do this.

surprised-funny-nerd-working-computer-18870115.jpg

Other days I look like this.

workation-11062702-300x200.jpg

Most of the time I do something like this.

mash.JPG

... and this is what I do when I am really slacking off

Mechanical Engineer doing HVAC design in new and existing buildings. Thought I wouldn't like it when I accepted my first position but have since realized I love what I do. Essentially play with autocad and find ways to blow air. No pics. But if you are comfortable sitting at your desk, you have someone like me to thank. If not, blame the contractor for installing it wrong.

This is exactly what I do also.

n240sxguy said:
Jeez! That's the biggest grater I've ever seen!

I didn't really realize just how big it was until I passed a semi in its way to the dock and 1. It moved over for me 2. I could look over the top of the trailer as I was sitting in the cab

There may have been an ABV issue with my post. :) Yes. Grader not grater. I'm ashamed. I would usually be the one to catch stuff like that.

Back