Outlaw homebrew in North AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhimWhamWhom

Reaction score
Im "Matty", from North AL. It is still technically illegal to brew beer in occupied structures in Alabama. That's why I go by "Matty". We are pushing for legalization someday. I support an organization called Free the Hops. The founder was on the Daily Show once. You can find out more at Free The Hops | Alabamians For Specialty Beer. Im fairly new at H'brewing. Ive got one successful extract w/ special grains batch and one experimental that I use to cook with. Fire it up!

Free the Hops!!!!:mad:

What part of north AL? My SIL live in Piedmont, AL if you've heard of it... my parents live in extreme NW GA... hello from the neighboring state of GA!

Don't you really mean extreme southern Tennessee? ;);) (wink, wink)...

Welcome!! :mug:

Yes, Im starting to think I need to either move to TN or WI. Most of us like the more liberal alcohol laws and the cheaper taxes on beer. I didnt just say that...there might be prohibitionists reading this...!!!!

What part of north AL? My SIL live in Piedmont, AL if you've heard of it... my parents live in extreme NW GA... hello from the neighboring state of GA!

West of I65, slightly NW of decatur. Id rather not say which town. The ABC has been known to follow up on peoples' posts with house visits.

hi Matty

I live down in Pell City Alabama, we're maybe a 30 minute drive east out of Birmingham

Even though its technically not legal to brew beer, its rarely ever enforced. I was pulled over by a police officer once and he asked me about the sack of grain in the seat, I explained what it was for and he seemed really interested. My neighbor across the street is also the police dispatcher and I think her husband works for the county prosecutors office and they've never had a problem with me brewing. I shoot guns with some of the deputies and have discussed homebrewing with them on occassion, maybe its just that I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and people leave other people alone, but I wouldn't worry about getting in trouble over homebrewing.

Hi Matty,

Been brewing almost two years... a bit below Anniston.

I've only heard of one problem from ABC where someone gave a TV interview, complete with his full name and such. An ABC agent came calling to make sure the guy knew the law. I think that's it.

The folks at the Auburn Homebrew Club
are doing some great work with home-brew legalization. BTW, it’s my understanding that Free the Hops is geared towards raising alcohol limits, container sizes and such and not home-brewing.

hi Matty

I am speaking of the notice that was served to a resident of HuntsvilleAL by the ABC. (The original details are available on the online forum of freethehops.org). It started with an article in the LA Times about homebrewing. The guy was in the paper and the interview was in his house. Name+house+location+homebrew=complaint. There werent any arrests but the guy folded his hobby due to concerns about his security clearance job. The ABC only said that it was illegal to brew it in an occupied structure. F***'em! Im always worried due to I am in a dry area and most of the law enforcement only take care of bootleggers and screw the rest of us. I am illegal.

Hi Matty,

Been brewing almost two years... a bit below Anniston.

I've only heard of one problem from ABC where someone gave a TV interview, complete with his full name and such. An ABC agent came calling to make sure the guy knew the law. I think that's it.

The folks at the Auburn Homebrew Club
are doing some great work with home-brew legalization. BTW, it’s my understanding that Free the Hops is geared towards raising alcohol limits, container sizes and such and not home-brewing.

True...I sporadically comment at John Little. True that FTH is most about that but some of the guys sporadically support SB498 or whatever the bill is this year.
:eek:

Send me a homebrew a week and I won't rat you out. :drunk:

Welcome to HBT and good luck with freeing the hops. :mug:

HB373 was approved (signed, whathaveyou) and is being sent to the governor. It is the bill that wants to raise the abv cap to 13.9% (number maybe off). Please call, fax, email the governor and tell him to sign it.

MS
Free the Hops
Free The Hops | Alabamians For Specialty Beer

For those who are inclined to call, fax or email;

The Governor’s office info:

Switchboard: (334) 242-7100
Fax: (334) 353-0004
Email form: State of Alabama - Office of Governor Bob Riley

Another N. AL brewer! Welcome and hi from the biggest town in N. AL (notice I didn't say which). From your description, I'm venturing a guess that you live in a place that starts with an "A" and ends in "ens"??

I am from Huntsville, AL myself! Is the funky store still open down South Parkway that sold all the beer supplies, along with all the wild and weird stuff?

Another N. AL brewer! Welcome and hi from the biggest town in N. AL (notice I didn't say which). From your description, I'm venturing a guess that you live in a place that starts with an "A" and ends in "ens"??

Well, this is my first post, and I figured: What better way to introduce myself than by saying that I lived in Fairhope, then Madison, Alabama for over 20 years!

But, after getting married, and my SWMBO getting a job in Ohio, I'm now stuck where the weather is freezing and Fat Tire is not distributed. But hey... at least homebrewing's legal up here!

Are you talking about Pearly Gates? Pearly Gates is still open.

Pearly Gates is only good if you need bomber bottles or siphons/tubing. All their ingredients are about 2 years old. I picked up a couple packs of dry yeast and didn't realize they were about a year past their exp date until I got home. I did check out their hops and I wouldn't suggest buying any of them. Nothing but a few 1oz packets of pellet hops that have been sitting out in room temp for 5 or 6 months.

Yeah, Pearly Gates! I remember they had some interesting food and stuff there. :D Used to be one of the few places to get interesting vegan/vegetarian stuff.

Terry W in Texas!

Back