Oregon Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnmnmarty

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Homebrewing. I am also new to writing in forums. But both look like fun. I bought my beer making stuff from Homebrew Heaven in Washington. I purchased the two stage kit with 6 gallon bucket and 5gallon glass carboy. I bought a Munich Lager kit as well a an American Pilsner kit. Probably could have started out with something simpler for the first brew but went with the Munich Lager first time. Which brings me to my first question.
I boiled the full 5 gallon batch per inst. and cooled to about 75 w/ wort chiller. Pitched dry lager yeast at that temp. Now is where I got in trouble. The directions confused me because they said to ferment at 75, but that ideal ferment temp was 45-55. I know now that they meant to start fermentation at 70 or so then cool it down for the duration. Well I fermented the entire batch at about 75. Needless to say it only bubbled for about 5 days and completely stopped. I work out of state so my wife (Bless her heart)racked it into the carboy for me. So my question is what will the warm/quick fermentation do to my beer. And what can I do to correct it at this point if anything. Right now the beer is in my shop and the temp in oregon right now is about 30 at night and 50ish during the day. We have a blanket wrapped around the carboy to protect it from temp swings. Im sure it isnt ruined but want to here what everyone thinks. Thanks. What a cool place for beer lovers!

Hi there Inmnmarty. Welcome to the forum.

I'm probably not the best person to answer those particular questions since I've never done a lager. I see you found that there are other boards for posting questions like this that will generate more response, so no need to answer it here anyway.

Just wanted to say, welcome aborad.

What you made is a "steam beer." Lager yeasts work best at temperatures below about 50 degrees, while ale yeasts typically work best at 65-70 degrees. Using a lager yeast at ale yeast temperatures (especially with a moderately hopped amber-ish recipe) creates what is known as "steam beer." Nothing wrong with it, but the flavor will be a little "fruitier" and probably outside the expected smooth lager taste that you're expecting.

I bought the same equipment starter from Homebrew Heaven. Im from Oregon too. Mine came with the wort chiller and the DVD. It was a GREAT starter kit but I have totally outgrown it, and im sure you will soon too. Those guys have the best shipping times, and super customer service. WAY TOP NOTCH!!Good luck wioth your future brewing career!!! YAY!

Thanks for the response. I'd love to hook up with a brew club. I live in Sutherlin (by Roseburg).Don't know where you guys meet. Does anybody know if there is a club down my way?Stay cool everybody.

Latest posts

Back