"sparklets" water carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've read a few threads about the price of ferementing buckets. About how, basically the price. I don't blame anyone, they are expensive. Now. I've heard people using the orange buckets from Home depot or by chance other places. I've read the arguments about head space, the type of plastic to which the argument lead to looking under the bucket for some "Code" I compared my 'Sparlkets' water carboy to the 'Better bottle carboy. I noticed the plastice on the 'Better bottle' is a bit thinner and the top of the same bottle had, if you will a "bubble". The 'Sparklets' bottle is thicker but no "bubble". Then I, compared to my glass carboy, noticing no difference. Besides "glass & plastic" take it how you will. I've never heard any suggestions to use or not to use them. Jusf wondering if one could? Would? Has? Why not use or try one?

I got two of the better bottles from bell's brewing for around 20 a piece. So far I love those. I have heard that you can use those spaekletts bottles, but should throw them out after one fermentation since they aren't specifically made for it.

I have used the 5gal and 3gal plastic water bottles just fine. Mine weren't sparklettes but same concept just a different water company. Must make sure the recycle code is a 1 or 2 and you should be fine.

I have used the 5gal and 3gal plastic water bottles just fine. Mine weren't sparklettes but same concept just a different water company. Must make sure the recycle code is a 1 or 2 and you should be fine.

1 or 2 plastics are fine. I read something on here about a year ago where someone bought a bunch of number 2 water jugs from walmart for like $6 a bottle. When the guy took it home he saw a stamp on the bottles that said they were manufactured by the better bottle company as well.

Back