please help i.d. this culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHookah209

Reaction score
Hello, I know this isnt beer related but it does have to do with fermentation so I figured it would be ok (if not I apologize). My grandmother has been on a healthfood kick lately and she recently returned from mexico with a jar of the culture in the attached picture. I would simply like some help identifying it but the information I have is scarce. At first I didnt kbow what to make of it since when I asked what it was she told me that it was called 'arroz vivo' which translates to live rice. Upon closer inspection it appeared to me that it was simply a culture of some sort. She told me that the 'rice' must be constantly submerged in water and be fed brown sugar. After a couple of days the water is drained and consumed then the process repeats itself. The purpose is to cleanse the digestive system so I figured it was just a simple probiotic.

Any response is appreciated, just curious for info, thanks for looking.

1367617110030.jpg

No clue, but expect a visit from the Feds for bringing unknown biologic agents into the country without proper documentation.

I was told that it made it through customs checks in both countries, so I dont think they have any problem with it. It was aitport security so I imagine it was quite thorough

I can't be totally sure about your particular bottle there, but it sounds to me like this 'arroz vivo' is a form of chicha made from rice. Chicha is a non-alcoholic Latin American beverage made from fermented grains and other high-starch crops. Depending on the type(it can be made by fermenting anything from corn to rice to potatoes), chicha has traditionally been consumed for its health benefits, religious rituals, or simply its taste.

Because it has so many uses, and its ingredients vary so widely, it's impossible to tell you exactly which strain/species of microbial is residing in your particular culture. But I can tell you how it probably got there. Traditionally chicha is made by chewing or sucking on the particular grain you wish to ferment, then spitting it into the fermentation vessel with a fair bit of microbe-containing saliva.

Thank you for your response. I figured it was something like that but was just looking for some kind of confirmation.

Back