Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog429

Reaction score
I looked around and couldn't find an answer to this; when making my first ever starter I didn't boil for 10 min. I did maybe 5-6 min because my kids started being kids. Anyway, I cooled it down and followed the rest of the info from beer geek nation.

So my question is, am I ok with not doing a 10-15 min boil? Also I used the 2 cups of water to 1/2 cup DME. It didn't seem like that was enough of a starter though. Only about 500ml.

Nope, you should be fine with the shorter boil.

As for the size, what's your batch size and projected OG? For a 5 gal batch of 1.050 beer, I usually do at least 1/2 gallon/2 liters. Check the Mr. Malty online calculator for the proper size. If yours is too small, you can always add more wort to step it up. Cheers!

I only ever boil for 5 minutes 1) I'm lazy and 2) I figure that's long enough to kill any nasties in my tap water.

I boil about 10 min and add nutrient at the last min or two. I use 6 oz dme to 2 quarts water. You should be fine with a 5 min boil.

Thanks for the info guys. My projected of is 1.054 so I probably need to add more. When I do, is it going to be the same process as far as boiling then adding to what's already in the flask? Or am I going to have to chill, then decant off and add? I checked MrMalty and it says I need a 1.05 liter starter. I've already done 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup DME. By that ratio I'd need 2.4 cups more water and a little over a 1/2 cup of DME does that sound right?

I would use what have. If you want increase vol just add to the starter without chilling.

So I made some more wort to make the starter 1.07L total. I boiled 10 min. then cooled to 71 degrees. Sanitized my funnel and the top of the flask and poured it in. Everything looks good now. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back