sparge water ph ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your water has very low alkalinity (like RO or distilled water), then its not imperative to worry about sparging water pH. If the water has high alkalinity, reducing its pH into the 5 to 6 range is a way to know that you've reduced the alkalinity to a good extent. A better explanation is provided in the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website.

Well it's ideal to bring it down to 5.7 or so, but if you don't, you can still make good beer. I've been brewing for 2+ years and have just gotten into water treatment the last couple of months, my beers are improving, but it's hard to pinpoint anything particular such as proper sparge PH.

I only concern myself with the mash pH as that is what's really important. I do not treat my sparge water.

Not sure this is the best way but works well for my beer, I use bru'n water for all calculations and water treatments have improved my beers tremendously!

I am adjusting my mash and sparge water: mash with salts and lactic and sparge only with lactic.
It only takes few ml's for 10 gal batch. I am using RO water mixed with hard tap water and I'm not sure if pH would get wild without lactic but when I am adding it to mash then it is not difficult to add few ml's to sparge water too.

Back