Yeast for bottling RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostfish

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been aging a 12% RIS for six months and am ready to bottle it up now, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for re-yeasting this bad boy. For my options I have US-05, WLP San Diego Super, and Red Star Pastuer Champagne...not sure which one to use as far as alcohol tolerance/extended aging/flavors picked up after bottling etc... Hoping this one carbs up without issue as I've never bottle conditioned something with this much alcohol. Thanks! :mug:

When I bottled my 11% RIS, I sprinkled half a pack of champagne yeast in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. 3 weeks at 70* and it was carbed to perfection

Re hydrate 1-2 million cells per ml of beer of the champagne yeast and mix that in the bottling bucket with your priming solution. Make sure to keep your bottles around 70-75F and they will carb up within a week or two.

Most of the time I don't add yeast to bottle. if its been 12-18 months (my longest) I'll add 1116. Its just not necessary if its only been a few months.

Back