wasn't paying attention first batch help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
doing my first batch at home boiled good and everything was looking good then I did it pour too much cold water in and did not realize until after I poured in the wort have 1 gallon too much in batch is this going to ruin the beer or just make it weak any suggestions on what to do from here? all ingredients in fermenter.

It will survive and it will be beer. Probably just weak beer. You could boil a little more extract (just to pasteurize as liquefy) and pour that into the fermenter. Then you'd have 6+ gal of non-diluted beer.

the original plan was to add blackberries in one week should I wait till then when I transfer to the secondary or do it now as soon as I can get a hold of more extract?

I would totally leave it alone. If it's slightly weaker than planned, so what? It's just more sessionable. This being your first batch, your main goal is probably to prove to yourself that you can actually make drinkable beer, not to hit your intended gravity exactly. Your beer will probably still be great.

Welcome to the hobby!

(Edit: Search around the forum and you will see plenty of discussion as to whether a secondary is even necessary. I only do it for long aging, like a barleywine.)

Just my two cents here but when doing a Fruit beer most people seem to rack to a secondary when adding fruit. I'm doing a raspberry beer right now and plan on racking to secondary for the fruit addition. Normally I only use a primary. I would give it more than a week though. Let it sit for 2-3 weeks before racking to secondary and fruit. The consensus seems to be that you lose more of the fruit flavor if you add the fruit before fermentation is complete (meaning you have reached your final gravity)

Ok Update the fermentation went crazy fermenting and bubbling the air lock like crazy for 3 days and stopped so Sunday 1 week after initial brew day I mashed the blackberries cooked at 160F for 15 min transferred from primary fermenter and to my supprise no krazen on top went ahead and racked into secondary with fruit 24 hrs later no sign of fermentation am I being paranoid or should I wait longer? Figured that yeast would go crazy with about 2 1/2 lbs of berries and all the sugars they contained. :cross:

Back