Low ABV brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wortnz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a few friends who only drink low ABV beer, I don't question their choice, but I have to say that lite (ABV) beer is crap, like seriously nasty.

I would like to brew something for them to drink that isn't nasty, looking to get in at around the 2.5% mark. I was thinking something fairly hoppy, maybe a pale ale.

Anyone tried brewing up a low ABV pale ale or similar? Would be keen to get some insight into the recipe and how it turned out.

Thanks!

I've done a 4% pale that I hopped to ~30 IBU, worked pretty well. If you're going that low and hopping it up, include a little crystal in your grain bill to leave a little residual sweetness to balance the hops, because at 2.5% there won't be much malt to stand up to a lot of hops.

I've not done American pales that low, but have produced a number of British bitters in the 3-3.5 range. These used around 85/10/5 Maris Otter / crystal / victory with around 30-35 ibu's, depending on batch. I mash at around 154 and used S-04, and they all had nice body and ample flavor, and didn't knock me out after 2 or 3.

I'm in the process if brewing up my early summer beers, so will be taking the same approach for low abv APA's in the near future; roughly 10% crystal, a slightly higher killed base malt, and lower end of range ibu's, with lots of flameout hops.

It's fairly straightforward making low ABV beer. One thing you must take into account that you don't really worry about usually, is the body. You're going to naturally produce a watery beverage. Add some good unfermentables like crystal malt, or even straight maltdextrin so you get a full bodied beer without the full ABV.

It's fairly straightforward making low ABV beer. One thing you must take into account that you don't really worry about usually, is the body. You're going to naturally produce a watery beverage. Add some good unfermentables like crystal malt, or even straight maltdextrin so you get a full bodied beer without the full ABV.

This...

In general focus on your projected final gravity and try to have it mimic a normal abv beer for the style you are attempting. Use unfermentable sugars, mash temp, and a yeast with less attenuation to get there.

so if you are going for a pale ale, shoot for a FG of 1010-1014.

You could also go the opposite direction. Instead of trying to add more body to a small beer, just roll with the low gravity and brew something like a table saison.

Back