Old Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSBrewer

Reaction score
I'm new to this site but my first batch was brewed in 1978. Wish I could say I have been brewing consistanctly since then. I hit it hard 1995-2000 during the years BC (before children). Reading all the posts makes me want to dust off the three kettle gravity system and make some 10G batches. I look forward to reading the different information on this site.

Kansas Brewer

KSBrewer said:
I'm new to this site but my first batch was brewed in 1978. Wish I could say I have been brewing consistanctly since then. I hit it hard 1995-2000 during the years BC (before children). Reading all the posts makes me want to dust off the three kettle gravity system and make some 10G batches. I look forward to reading the different information on this site.

Kansas Brewer
Wow...1978. Was it even legal then? Welcome...and I look forward to hearing your war stories about the good old day. :)

Malt extract, cane sugar, bread yeast and an open fermenter was the formula recommended by my college biology teacher. Bottled in big mouth Coors bottles that kind of sealed. The ones that did turn out with carbonation where real rocket fuel. Next batch was in early Nineties when the bug really bit me. Have done everything from 5gl plastic bucket grain batches to 20 gal ½ bbl gravity three bbl batches. Looking to get serious again with small 5gl all grain system. Really enjoy yeast culturing and look forward to getting back into the swing of things. I am working on a brew room that will have a sink and room for fermenter boxes (temp controlled fridge or freezer). It’s been a long time since I entered any competitions and am looking forward to some blue ribbons.

One big change is grains are almost universally fully modified, even sprecialty grains. Also the newer 2-row varients have enzyme contents similar to 6-row. Makes things easier.

Well my all grain experience started in 1994 so I have never used anything but 2-row and all the various specility grains. My signature style is stout which I make with two row and roasted only. I memory serves me I think it was an 80/20 mix. Does anyone out there belong to a club? I was active in one in the past but have drifted away. Really enjoyed the club only competitions the AHA sponsored in the past.

Bet even with the older ways of brewing it still tasteed dozens of times better then what was out there:)

Kansas Brewer
Mine was 1974. A bitter. Can't remember the name of the kit. Used Alpine lemonade bottles. Super thick glass and big screw stoppers. Taste? Worse than terrible. 😄

My mates dad used to make his own with malt extract from the chemist and fresh hops. Lovely stuff. Potent.

Last edited:
Back