Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, to be fair, I only ran into the owner once since then and I didn't pry. He mentioned some trouble he was given although he didn't elaborate and it could have been anything for all I know. I figured if he wanted me to know he'd have mentioned it so I left it alone. Might have been a sort point for him.

John, owner of Deep South, was visited by ABC a good while back. They asked him to make a few changes... like keep the "worms" in the back room, not out on display. Other than that they shook hands and went on their way. He stayed open a long time after that.

He closed for other reasons not directly related to the store.

I spoke to him the other day and he said they won't be opening back up. I preferred his place as it was closer for me too. I work every other week in Downtown Gump and stay in Millbrook while I am down here. I could swing by John's place on the way back to Huntsville every other friday and load up on supplies for the North Alabama group.

Fairview is the wrong way. Now I stop at AlaBrew when I can.

My brother in law lives in Montgomery and has expressed some interest in brewing. I was going to get him up here for my next brew day, but he's busy and I need to go ahead and get it brewed so it will be done by Independence Day. Hopefully I can get him involved before the summer is up, and I plan to take him to Fairview for his equipment and first kit.

FYI...maybe Alabama's first home brew contest.

http://alabamabrewoff.com/

$1000 cash prize!

First legal one, anyway. In the late 90s we had an AHA sanctioned comp in Bham, Heart of Dixie Brew Off. I know it ran at least two years. I was brewing at Breckenridge in Bham at the time of the first one and at Magic City when the second one went on, I judged and donated some kind of prizes.

I'm in! I'm totally in. I may have a snowball's chance in Satan's fireplace, but I'm doing it. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

Think I may give this a shot too. I've got two beers that will be ready and might try to brew another, but I need something with a quick turnaround. Bottle conditioning will make it tricky.

I was thinking about the 15 gallon limit thing... hypothetically (cos it'd be illegal and that's bad), could you not bottle in re-used commercial bottles and leave the labels on. Obviously you shouldn't do it and it would be naughty, but it seems like it would work?

Especially if you could pick up a case of swing-top Grolsch or something, that would be ideal.

I was thinking about the 15 gallon limit thing... hypothetically (cos it'd be illegal and that's bad), could you not bottle in re-used commercial bottles and leave the labels on. Obviously you shouldn't do it and it would be naughty, but it seems like it would work?

Especially if you could pick up a case of swing-top Grolsch or something, that would be ideal.

Of course you could. Even without that, though, I just can't see this being a problem for 99.99% of Alabama residents.

As it was prior to legalization, the police did not care about homebrewing. I hardly think they are suddenly going to come in now to count the number of bottled 12 ounce beers in your possession.

I'm thinking I should enter and ship some beer in from out of state... I'd laugh my ass off if the first Alabama Brew Off after getting homebrewing legalized was won by a guy in CA :D

Don't do it man... those guys in the house will use it as a reason why this was a bad idea in the first place when they try get the 15 gallon limit removed
Crazy AL Rep. said:
Since homebrewing was legalise money has been leaving our state to support the devils drink in the rest of 'merica
:D

Plus, talk about unfair advantages... We're just learning how to do this! Clearly because it was illegal like a week ago and stuff.

Yep.

Not much time to get any big beers ready by the entry date. Though I'm thinking that my Belgian golden strong may be miraculously aged by then, given the short timeframe.

Plus, talk about unfair advantages... We're just learning how to do this! Clearly because it was illegal like a week ago and stuff.

Should be a madatory judges comment for all beers over 25, "Very good for your first attempt at homebrewing! :D"

I'm with you on the unfair advantage, but that does not mean we have not been learning even without our most hallowed brew days! There is no substitute for real experience, even if BYO and forums can educate you...I would like to see how the last state to catch on stacks up against some gutsy out of towners!

Just got finished registering two beers. I wanted to brew a new one for the comp but I guess I read the dates wrong. I was thinking that bottles had to be received by 6/14 instead of the end of June. I figured there was no way I would have something new ready that soon. Oh well...

This is my first competition and I'm not really expecting anything from it. All I really want is some feedback.

I'll enter one or two beers. Never done any sort of competition before.

I've never competed before either, but I have several beers ready right now and I plan to enter. It's not far away and should be interesting.

I see that we are to deliver (or send in) the beers by June 28 for the July 13 judging. Does anyone know what happens on the 13th? It is not clear what sort of event this is other than for the judges. Nothing is said on the website about a schedule that day.

Orthobrewsky said:
I've never competed before either, but I have several beers ready right now and I plan to enter. It's not far away and should be interesting.

I see that we are to deliver (or send in) the beers by June 28 for the July 13 judging. Does anyone know what happens on the 13th? It is not clear what sort of event this is other than for the judges. Nothing is said on the website about a schedule that day.

In the contests we have done in MS judging actually occurs over multiple weekends. The later date is probably the last day of judging and an awards ceremony.

In our recent contest for instance we judged half the beers the day after the beers were due and then half on the morning of the day of the awards ceremony.

I doubt many police departments even have a clue homebrewing has been legalized.

What's the old addage? Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

I've heard more than a couple judges claim this (albeit perhaps it jest) and aside from the years of study they engaged in to acquire such a position in the first place it should still definitely cut both ways.

BTW, the Alabama Brew Off Competition reached its limit of 250 registered beers yesterday. So if you were thinking about entering (like me) and haven't done so yet (like me), you're out of luck!

Yeah, I discovered that this morning when I went to register. You'd think I would've learned from NHC registration this year that it would be popular. Quite bummed. I feel like they changed the rules though, there was no mention of an entry cap if I recall correctly, initially, in the rules. Although, in hindsight, you'd have to be a fool to set a competition up without an entry cap.

Yeah, I discovered that this morning when I went to register. You'd think I would've learned from NHC registration this year that it would be popular. Quite bummed. I feel like they changed the rules though, there was no mention of an entry cap if I recall correctly, initially, in the rules. Although, in hindsight, you'd have to be a fool to set a competition up without an entry cap.

How did you discover this? I just registered a few beers and it appeared to accept them. So far no message to the contrary.

I looked at the rules and the part about the cap as well as the limit of 10 entries per person was definitely not there to begin with because I had looked for something like that a few weeks ago.

I feel like you; I should have thought this might happen.

Hmmm, I see this:

brewoff.jpg

Hmmm, I see this:

Yeah that date/time is bogus on the front, but it is full. If you get logged in and look on the "home" page you get the real time it filled up: "The limit of two hundred and fifty (250) entries was reached on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM. No further entries will be accepted."

I just happened to sign up earlier in the day of June 4.

There is also is: "There are 250 entries (0 paid and received) from 99 registered participants, judges, and stewards."

I feel like it was a bad idea not to collect entry fees at signup. I am sure more than a few of the sign-ups will be a no show for the competition.

That's what I get for waiting. Have a real good chocolate stout that I had been planning to enter. Oh well, guess I'll drink them myself.

4nabas said:
That's what I get for waiting. Have a real good chocolate stout that I had been planning to enter. Oh well, guess I'll drink them myself.

I always hate that I have to give up bottles of my delicious beer when entering contests. Especially when the contest requires 3 beers...

Back