Need help planning my Ferm Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felixio

Reaction score
I'm currently planning my fermentation chamber, it will be a cabinet cooled by a mini-fridge. The plan is to make it just large enough so I can fit two 6.5 gallon carboys, or two buckets, or a combination, depending on what I'm working with at the time. I've already ordered a single STC-1000 and I've been reading up on how to wire it, but I was thinking, what if I want to brew two beers in a weekend that require different temps? I am considering wiring in a second STC-1000, having it set up so if one or both is on cool, then the fridge runs, and their heating switch turns on a FermWrap that I have around each carboy.

My question is, if I have a FermWrap around carboy 1 and it's turned on, how far away does carboy 2 have to be before the heat of the FermWrap warms it up too? Would I be better off wrapping them in bags? Or would that insulate too much against the fridge's cold air? Am I just trying to make it too complex and should just plan my brews so I only use one temp in the fridge at a time?

You might want to have two separate chambers then or you'll have the Ferm wrap fighting against the fridge and your electric company will love you. You can make the wall removable as well.

I would insert the wall and then at the very top in one of the corners install a fan. That way if it gets too warm in the "warm" ferm chamber, you can have the temp controller kick the fan on to pull some cool air into the chamber. Make sure you connect the fan with a quick disconnect so that if you have two beers that require the same temp, pull the wall out, disconnect the fan and your done.

Back