So Much Yeast!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbright79

Reaction score
Moving to All Grain this summer; whats the consensus on yeast as it pertains to developing recipes? Is it best to pick a specific yeast and stick with it while developing recipes in an attempt to reduce variables and be able to predict / design a recipe. Or do the research now to learn about all the different yeasts out there and how to pair them to a specific style.

Thanks in advance. :mug:

you usually research to find the specific yeast to whatever your style is....you can also wash the yeast at the end and use it for a starter the next time you brew that style. You usually cant go wrong with california ale yeast WLP002 for any american beer. But there is English ale yeast, hefe yeast, etc

Most "professional homebrewers" have just a handful of yeast they work with. This could be for re-pitching sake, or just because they dig the flavors of those yeasts.

I'm always looking to improve my recipes, but can also be stuck in my ways. I love Wyeast 1968/White Labs 002, and use it in a lot of my beers. But those same recipes get fermented with lots of other strains throughout the year when I want a different slant. A lot of homebrewers rely on 1056/WLP001 to be the workhorse. But unless you are trying to re-pitch over and over, never lock yourself down to one yeast. It would be like only eating one kind of bacon the rest of your life. And who wants that? :)

Aaron

I used to be big on liquid yeast and doing starters and all that jazz. Now I have two toddlers and I'm a bit lacking in time to brew, let alone make a starter for liquid yeast, so I've pretty much switched to dry yeast. I've been using safale us05 for most beers and I've been pretty happy with it. The bigger beers need 1.5 11g packets according to mrmalty calculator but for the most part it's a little cheaper and lot easier with less headache.
Also zero chance of a youngin deciding to invert a flask of starter on brew day. Even if you only use liquid, having a couple packets of dry in the fridge is good insurance.

I used to be big on liquid yeast and doing starters and all that jazz. Now I have two toddlers and I'm a bit lacking in time to brew, let alone make a starter for liquid yeast, so I've pretty much switched to dry yeast. I've been using safale us05 for most beers and I've been pretty happy with it. The bigger beers need 1.5 11g packets according to mrmalty calculator but for the most part it's a little cheaper and lot easier with less headache.
Also zero chance of a youngin deciding to invert a flask of starter on brew day. Even if you only use liquid, having a couple packets of dry in the fridge is good insurance.

What he said x2:mug:

I used to have a bunch of liquid yeast, I'd wash, clean again, store, do a starter, etc.

For something real specific, sure, use a liquid yeast. I use s05 most of the time and s04 occasionally. The only time I use liquid is if I'm doing a sour, belgian or a lager.

If you want to get to know your ingredients (what does vienna taste like versus munich or cascade vs centenial) using the same yeast at least for a while is a good step.

You also can get your fermentation regimen down pat this way- same yeast, same temp, same time (mostly).

Try a few different yeasts to see what you like. Then as you use them more often you get to know what to expect from them. I have a few yeasts that are my go to yeasts, and use them often. When I use them I know exactly what to expect.

I do still try new yeasts to see if I find something I like better.

There are some yeasts that are really only available as liquid. For example many of the Belgian yeasts. There are several very good dry yeasts on the market.

For each style of beer find a yeast that you like. Dry if it is available or liquid. If you go with liquid, learn how to make a starter.

Tell us what beers you like and we can recommend some good yeasts for that style.

Ive only done liquid. Dont you have to make a starter for dry? or rehydrate?

Dry is really easy. Many just snip the packet and sprinkle it directly on the wort. I've done this many times and it works fine.

The "proper" way do use dry yeast (per the manufacturer) is to reydrate with plain water. Combine the yeast with about 1/3 cup sterile water (boiled and cooled or bottled). Swirl it around or stir it so it mixes in and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Dry yeast actually has nutrients included in it. When you combine it with water, it is almost like making a starter. You generally don't want to add dry yeast to wort to make a starter. If you harvest used from a batch of beer it is a different story.

The other thing I like about dry yeast is using it with big beers - no need for massive starters - just another $3 or so for an additional packet.

As I mentioned before, yeast is a big part of the flavor and clarity of beer and variety is nice. I used to use euro ale yeast for lots of things (makes a great pseudo lager). As I brew more and am pressed for time, I like using dry yeast when all I need is a clean neutral yeast profile. Most american styles lend themselves to us-05. I've used it in pales, ipa, imperial stouts, pseudo lagers, brown ales, amber ales, fruit beers and a bunch of others I can't remember right now. If I want something with a little more fruit or a little more estery, I can use s04. I know there are so many yeast options out there and I like tasting all of them, but the convenience factor of dry yeast is pretty damn high.

making a starter isnt bad...the day before i boil DME and water for 10 minutes, cool, pitch liquid yeast into the flask, oxygenate, and set in my fermentation chamber until the next day

Back