Oh crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I think I may have screwed up...was prepping some DME wort for my second step for my big starter for a BGS. I obviously wasn't paying attention and dumped the hot wort into my flask with the yeast cake(Wyeast 1388, which was at room temp). I immediately realized I was an idiot and got it into a cold water bath. Went from 156 to 89 in ten minutes. How cooked is my goose?:eek::oops:

Last edited:
IMO, the chances of getting a good second starter step from this are near zero. But, it won't really cost you anything to find out.

I just remembered that I had saved a 8 oz mason jar of that strain when I got done with the first step. Now that the starter is down to 70°, I can pitch that and basically start over?

Probably well done.

Even if you manage to get some yeast to survive and eat the starter you will have no idea how much yeast you have and if it is any good. Might be some outlier yeast in there that survived the extreme shock and take over fermentation but no idea what they would be like.

I'd get new yeast and maybe brew something different this weekend that would not require a starter.

I just remembered that I had saved a 8 oz mason jar of that strain when I got done with the first step. Now that the starter is down to 70°, I can pitch that and basically start over?

I'd decant it, then reboil it to kill whatever is in there, then chill it and innoculate with the fresh jar. A little bit of boiled yeast will act as nutrient but a lot could be an issue.

I think the jar I had saved probably has close to 70 billion viable cells in it, I just need to complete another two step starter and I should be good to go. Based off of a bunch of reading, the starter I cooked, most likely didn't have any survivors. Extra nutrients for the healthy ones. Here's to trying it out. This wouldn't be home brew if it something wasn't tested out.

Latest posts

Back