Forgot to Add Flavoring Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas50

Reaction score
I brewed a Blonde Ale today and forgot to add flavoring hops (10 min before end of boil). I only added bittering hops (60 min before end of 90 min boil). I already pitched the yeast. Can I add the hops now or am I screwed?

Dry hop them puppies then bro, it won't give you the bitterness but will add a lot of nice aroma....Besides, you probably weren't gonna pull to much of the bitterness with that late of an addition anyway..... Calm down and grab a brew before I call the police....

Not sure how well this would work, but I would think if you want to add a bit more bitterness and if you were concerned about your recipe, you could always boil the hops in a little water for 10 min w/ the hops then add that water to the carboy after it's cooled down to 70.

Generally you'd want to wait until after fermentation was over to toss in those hops for a dry hop.

Generally you'd want to wait until after fermentation was over to toss in those hops for a dry hop.

Whoops I took that for granted when I meant dry hop, you will still be fine though even though fermentation is probably not complete. I can't say I haven't done it before.....

You are probably OK, Although, a traditional dry hop is done after fermentation is complete. I just did a brew that I dry hopped last time, this time I did a 45 minute hop addition after flameout and before cooling, for aroma. We'll see in about 3 weeks how it turned out.

adding: I think that the timing of hop additions for flavoring/aroma is not as critical as the timing for bittering. It will make a difference on how much aroma or flavor you get, but will be less precise, timewise, than a bittering addition.

Back