under carbonation or stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerGuy

Reaction score
this is my second batch of beer. my first was a dark ale coopers and it carbonated in 5 days to excellent fizzyness. the entire time i could see the bubbles going in the bottles. on this batch which is a pilsner i never saw the bubbles in the bottles and after 4 days of no action the beer is sort of carbonated. the ale was bottled after 7 days or so but i didnt have enought bottles to bottle the pilsner until about week 3 which it sat dormant for about 2 weeks. is it possible the yeast never really woke up to consumin the priming sugar? is it too soon to open and it will carbonate more even though ive never seen action in the bottle? can i add more priming suagar? i used 6 grams per litre(table sugar)

About 3 weeks or more at 70 degrees with the proper amount of priming sugar. I have had a couple that had good carbonation at ~ 2 weeks, but they tasted much better after 3 weeks.

Patience Grasshopper.

ive read alot about waiting i just think something is wrong because the bottles have no action and are pretty clear compared to my last batches action in bottle.

Action in bottles? I have never seen any action in the bottles. But, I wait at least 2 weeks, then chill ONE for a test. Then wait longer if necessary. I waited for one for 3 months. It depends on the style/recipe.

thanks for putting my worries to bed! its nice to know there isnt normally bubbling in bottles.

Agreed. Activity in bottles is very odd. Normally, you won't see anything.

Three weeks @ 70 degrees is the baseline for normal gravity beers. Lower temps and higher gravities can take longer. I've seen reports of up to three months to fully carb.

If you added priming sugar properly (boiled sugar in a cup or two of water, racked beer on top of it), then the beer WILL eventually carb up. Just give it time.

Latest posts

Back