Brew Pal and BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinghamtonEd

Reaction score
So I've been using Brew Pal on my iPhone to come up with some extract/PM recipes, and using it's nice alarm clock feature on brew days. I'm looking into getting into all-grain BIAB and am trying to figure out how to configure a recipe on Brew Pal for this process.

If I put in my batch size, 5.5 gallons, and say 10 pounds of 2-row (just for numbers), it tell me to strike with 3.75 gallons of water (@1.5qt/lb) and sparge with 4.13 gallons. Seems pretty close to the 7.75 gallons I get from http://classist.net/biab-calculator/.

Does anyone here have experience using Brew Pal with BIAB to get water calculations, or do you just ignore the mash calculations and do your own?

typically you don't sparge with BIAB so therefore you would strike with more like 9 gallons of water. I'm not familiar with that software so i'm not 100% sure. BS2 says strike with 36quarts. which is close enough to 9 gallons.

maybe someone with more BIAB experience can chime in.

When I used to do split-biab batches on my stovetop. I did 4 gal per 5 gal pot pot no sparging. (total of 8 gallons)
split batch is just basically making two 2.5 gal batches at same time,( 2 pots, 2 bags etc) then joining them b4 fermenter.
I did full boil and ended up with 5.5 gal or so after 60 min boil.

Now, I am doing 10 gal batch on a 5k element. I have been starting with 16 gal of water, but my boil is strong enough so I should probably using about 14 gal. (It is taking me too long to boil the liquid down)

I use Brew Pal but don't BIAB. You can just add your mash and sparge waters if you no-sparge. Or you can mash with the mash volume and then sparge through your bag the sparge volume.

When I run your numbers I get using 7.32 gallons of water, collecting 5.92 gallons of wort. After boiling 60 minutes and chilling, it drops to 5 gallons.

The differences between your numbers, my numbers, and the website are going to be assumed equipment losses and boil off.

I BIAB and use brew pal.i do use the total water volume and do not sparge. I don't change the numbers any just add strike and sparge. After You do it a few times you can add a little more or less based on your system. Old brew pal before an update had system losses configurable so I had everything tuned. I upgraded and all that went away. Kinda sucked.

They didn't get rid of it. They moved it. From the initial screen, you touch the settings gear in the top right. Scroll all the way to the bottom and second to last is "system losses".

beernik said:
they didn't get rid of it. They moved it. From the initial screen, you touch the settings gear in the top right. Scroll all the way to the bottom and second to last is "system losses".

+1

Latest posts

Back