Newbie fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav01

Reaction score
I order online kits. I am assuming that my yeast in the packages could die during transport. I usually put them in the fridge when they arrive. Am I doing right so far? Have noticed my last two batches have had low ABV when kegged. Still tasted very good. Could my yeast be dying off and not finishing the fermentation job. The beers are not "sweet" to taste as if there were alot of left over sugar. Can I repitch another batch of yeast bought locally at brew shop at any time during the 1st or 2nd fermentation?

Depending on where you're getting the kits, what brand they are and how Lon they have been sitting at the shop, the yeast may be of questionable health to begin with. Shipping, especially during warm weather, only makes it worse.

I assume you're using dried yeast. Rehydration would be a first good step. Boil about a cup of water and let it cool to 80/90f. Rehydrate for about 30 min before pitching. It should increase yeast viability dramatically.

If you're still not seeing good results, try skipping the included yeast altogether and going with a healthy pitch of yeast you've handled well yourself. That should prove whether or not the prepackaged yeast is the issue.

Thank you. That cleared up alot of questions I had. Can I repurchase yeast after fermentation appears to have stopped if I believe it stopped early? Or even pitch 2 packages?

weav01 said:
Thank you. That cleared up alot of questions I had. Can I repurchase yeast after fermentation appears to have stopped if I believe it stopped early? Or even pitch 2 packages?

What kind of kits are you getting andwhat kind of yeasts are included? If you're getting say, a pale ale kit that is branded by the online site, and they're just including a pack of US05 with it, then you're probably getting really fresh yeast.

If you're just getting a generic pale ale kit that comes with a yeast pack that doesn't seem to be branded or doesn't have a "use by" date, then the yeast can be hit or miss.

I would not worry about re pitching. I would buy a kit and try re hydrating and see how that beer turns out. Then I would buy the same kit and a pack of name brand yeast (danstar, safale, or one of the liquid varieties preferably). Ferment with that and NOT the included yeast. And see which you like best.

Unless you're doing it intentionally for a known reason, you rarely get predictable results pitching multiple yeasts of different variety.

Are taking gravity readings? That's how you know if the yeast has done its job. Not by guessing, tasting and wondering. The kit should tell you what your OG and FG should be and you should be close to those.

Better to pitch the correct amount at the beginning than to add yeast later. That second pack of yeast is being tossed into a fairly unfriendly environment and may not successfully establish itself.

What kind of yeast are you using? What size packet? Are you rehydrating? An 11 gram packet of dry yeast (properly rehydrated) will be plenty of cells for an ale up to 1.060 OG. Also, if kept refrigerated, dry yeast only loses 4% viability each year.

Are taking gravity readings? That's how you know if the yeast has done its job. Not by guessing, tasting and wondering. The kit should tell you what your OG and FG should be and you should be close to those.

Good point. It's the only way to really know. Also, give it 10-14 days before taking the first reading.

Back