off Flavor not sure what it is anyone experienced this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_mulk45

Reaction score
So I’m kind of a noob I’ve done about 5 different beers the first 3 were extract recently I’ve done all grain one being a hoppy ale if you will and after bottling I bottle condition for around 2 weeks I couldn’t wait much longer and it came out with this funky flavor it leaves a film in my mouth but I can’t describe the taste it’s not pleasant has anyone experience this

Hi, not much info to go on, can you compare it to anything you know?

"A film in the mouth" is often associated with Diacetyl. Could you equate it with cheap margarine, butterscotch or similar?

Diacetyl: This compound is responsible for an artificial butter, butterscotch or toffee- like aroma and taste. At low levels, it may also produce a slickness on the palate. A significant number of tasters cannot perceive diacetyl at any concentration, so every judge should be aware of his or her limitations. Diacetyl is a fermentation by-product which is normally absorbed by the yeast and reduced to more innocuous diols. High levels can result from prematurely separating the beer from the yeast or by exposure to oxygen during the fermentation. Low FAN levels or mutation may also inhibit the ability of yeast to reduce diacetyl. Note that high fermentation temperatures promote both the formation and elimination of diacetyl, but the latter is more effective. For that reason, lager breweries often employ a diacetyl rest, which involves holding the beer in the 50-55 F range for a few days after racking to the conditioning tank. Diacetyl is also produced by some strains of lactic acid bacteria, notably Pediococcus damnosus. Low levels of diacetyl are permissible in nearly all ales, particularly those brewed in Scotland, and even some lagers, including Czech pilsners and Vienna-style beers.

Diacetyl is produced at the beginning stages of fermentation and then later reduced. Maintaining or even increasing the temperature at the end of fermentation can help in its reduction, as will not prematurely removing the beer from the yeast. Oxygen reintroduction can cause its formation through oxidation of diacetyl precursors present in the beer. Ensuring the presence of adequate amounts of amino acids will also help prevent its formation. Extract brewers can often have problems due to the lack of amino acids in the extract. Lastly, diacetyl can be produced by some strains of bacteria. Again, proper sanitation and control during yeast propagation will help minimize its presence

I can’t really compare it to much my question is do u think mash temp could contribute to a film being in your mouth I mashed a little high this time as I was in a hurry

60F is low, perhaps you meant 160F?

160F is a little high, which will make a different sugar profile than say 150F would. 160 will be less fermentable, likely resulting in higher FG.

60F is low, perhaps you meant 160F?

160F is a little high, which will make a different sugar profile than say 150F would. 160 will be less fermentable, likely resulting in higher FG.
Well it was higher than usual is there any way something going wrong in the mash could call this Bc I always do a dyacital rest and have ruled that out and the mash is the only thing I can think of that I’ve done different

Well it was higher than usual is there any way something going wrong in the mash could call this Bc I always do a dyacital rest and have ruled that out and the mash is the only thing I can think of that I’ve done different
If you mashed on the higher end (e.g., 160F) it's likely to measure a higher FG than you would have had when mashing at 152-154F. The cloying film you're experiencing could well be due to the higher mash temps.
I was in a rush cause something came up and I usually don’t mash that high
The mash doesn't proceed any faster at 160F than it would at 146F. But the composition of the resulting wort will be markedly different, the former being more dextrinous, the latter more fermentable.

And if you really mashed at 60°F then you had starch water, not sugar water

Do you have any way to test the thermometer used to measure mash temps? Another thermometer, or calibrate the one you have with ice water slurry and boiling and (depending on your altitude) measure 32F and 212F.

And if you really mashed at 60°F then you had starch water, not sugar water

Do you have any way to test the thermometer used to measure mash temps? Another thermometer, or calibrate the one you have with ice water slurry and boiling and (depending on your altitude) measure 32F and 212F.
Yes I mashed at 160F 60 was a typo and yea I got caught up in sum and I wasn’t watvhing my temp and it got hot and I didn’t have time to wait for my strike water to cool down .so do you think that film could be coming from that ?

I’m just trying to figure out the problem so ik what went wrong so it don’t happen again cause it taste good on the front end then it hits you and it’s terrible

Mash temp will change the profile of the beer as others have stated but it's unlikely to make it "terrible". Just sweeter and with bigger mouthfeel - probably different and inappropriate to the style, but in no ways an off flavour.

If there is a local homebrew club in your area, take a bottle (or two or three) along to one of their meetings. I'm sure they will be happy to test and give you some guidance.

I am afraid "film" without flavor descriptor is not enough for my fairly inexpert knowledge to guess at what it is, or what caused it.

Latest posts

Back