Another Ward report thread -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadiBrewer

Reaction score
I read the primer and did my research before sending out for the Ward report. Here's what I got back. If I'm understanding my research, my tap water may not even be worth diluting and I should use RO water instead due to the hardness. Is my assumption correct?

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 392
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.65
Cations / Anions, me/L 7.3 / 7.0
ppm
Sodium, Na 45
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 66
Magnesium, Mg 23
Total Hardness, CaCO3 261
Nitrate, NO 3 -N 2.5 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4 -S 30
Chloride, Cl 49
Carbonate, CO 3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 216
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 177

It looks like an English water. It should make a fine Bitter or Pale Ale, but could leave you with a harsher taste in lighter or maltier styles. The alkalinity would have to be neutralized in most every beer. Pre-boiling the water would knock some of the alkalinity out, but acidification would still be necessary for many beers.

The Na and Mg are a little high, but not excessively. The sulfate would be troubling to brewing malty styles. This water isn't ideal, but with modest dilution could be quite useable for many beers.

Thanks for your help. Both of you are invaluable to us novices as we try to improve our skills.

Back