Craigslist is awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaston

Reaction score
What's the best deal you have ever gotten on craigslist?

I just picked up thirteen cases of free empty bottles. Now I can brew a few more batches before needing more. :ban:

15g conical fermenter, 5Lb co2 bottle, ball lock corny 5G, beer kit, and alot of brewday accessories. $170. ironically the only thing I've bought off craigslist but was definately worth it to me.

Got a full sized kegerator with all the tubing and fittings, 5 lb CO2 tank, and two tap handles for $300.

Brand new/never used $600 fridge for $100.

Still had all the little blue shipping tapes holding the bins closed and shelves in place. Sellers had just bought a house that had a brand new kitchen - filled with whiteware, and they wanted SS. Gotta love yuppies ;)

Cheers!

3 cornies, 15 gallon megapot with flase bottom, 20 g co2 tank, regulator, and beergun for $275!

Man yall are lucky! CL here is horrid, took me 4 months of looking before I found a decent chest freezer for under $200 and that was only 9 cu ft, got it for $100 and still had to travel 45 minutes to get it. I can never find used brewing gear either. :(

People here want $80-90 just for a single used 15.5g keg and this is a college town!

7cuft freezer for $75. Also sold a couple of shotguns for $50 more than I paid for them!

I buy and sell on CL regularly. My best flip was a '73 AMC Hornet wagon I bought for $700, drove for a year, and sold for $2300.

As far as beer deals go, I've come across some decent ones but never pulled the trigger. I generally end up buying new in the store with the difference in price being close to the cost of fuel.

Those are some pretty good deals. I'm gonna have to keep looking lol

I got a Danby kegerator for $200 with a 5lbs CO2 tank and regulator, and an empty pony keg in it. It was only a year old and in great shape.

I also got 2 cornies for $35 total before. There's some great deals sometimes.

I got a 50' 3/8" copper immersion chiller for $20. I got two 20 lb CO2 tanks, two 15.5 gallon sanke kegs, a couple taps and a keg cooler on wheels (with tap lines built in) for $150.

I look every day for homebrewing stuff on CL, but I think it's gotten so popular here in Chucktown that nothing stays up for even a few hours. That or they want way too much (or I don't need it).

10 g Brew kettle, counterflow chiller, two glass carboys, a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, two 5 gal mash tuns, 2 cornies and a two-line co2 regulator (no tank), bottle tree, plus all the hoses, fittings, etc. = $425

I had been partial extract for a while and the deal was too good to pass up. It's how I jumped to all grain. It's easy to find good stuff around Chicago.

I picked up a 1HP Baldor motor for $10 from a guy who had no idea what it was worth and was just cleaning "junk" left in his basement by a previous tenant. The fact that the seller was only 1/2 mile from my house was even better--I didn't have to drive across town for this bargain. A quick online search showed that motor costs >$300 new. It's going to power my grain mill once I order a MM.

I don't remember how much I paid exactly but I do remember it was a steal. A few years ago I was building a new house and needed all new appliances. After scouring Craigslist for a few weeks I saw a post that was almost too good to be true. A full set of stainless steel high end appliances for a song. So I quickly grabbed my wife, a trailer, and an appliance dolly. The toolbox was already in the truck.

I pull up to the address and find a for sale sign in the front yard. I knock on the door and am greeted by a rather, let's say, disheveled looking fellow. He invites me into "his" rather nice, large, and expensive home and proceeds to show me the appliances. They were perfect and the wife liked them. They were all still installed and working so very easy to inspect. So I proceed to negotiate as any good Craigslister would. I am surprised at how easily I am able to negotiate my price but I am even more surprised at what comes next. No sooner than we agree on a price the doorbell rings. It's his next Craigslist client. They have come to look at the chandeliers in the house. So there I am, in a strangers house, removing the dishwasher, refrigerator, stove, and microwave while he is off discussing selling all the lights in the house when it hits me. Does this guy really own this house?

I mean, what if this guy gained access to a house for sale and started selling off everything he could? Am I in the middle of some scam? What do I do? At this point I have the stove out, the frig out, and I've taken down the microwave. I'm caught red handed, but all I have left is the dishwasher and I'm out of there. What do I do? I'm nervous. I'd like to think the sweat on my brow was from working hard but really I was sweating the situation.

My conscience gets the best of me and I send my wife out to the truck and instruct her to call the real estate agent whose name is on the sign out front and get the scoop on this situation ASAP.

It turns out that the guy lost his job, got divorced, and was on the verge of having the house foreclosed on. He was just trying to get all the money he could out of it before the foreclosure. The real estate agent was not very happy to find out what was taking place. I can't say I blame her. Would you want a listing for a house missing all the lights, appliances, and presumably soon to be missing doors, windows, flooring, HVAC equipment and who knows what else?

Oh well....nothing illegal about the situation so I finish removing his dishwasher, piling all his food from the frig on the back porch (It was about 35 degrees that day so why not put it outside), and high tail it out of there.

Whewww....the stuff we endure for our Craigslist adventures. Yeah, I'd do it again.

Wow, Derek, that's some sketchy business! I would not be happy if I was that real estate agent either!

I picked up 12 corny kegs from a guy clearing a warehouse for $100 total. All held pressure and were probably considered 'B' kegs.

I have had some excellent craigslist scores. A sweet little late 50's speed boat I paid $500 for, used for 3 years, put less than $100 into, than sold for $1000. An aluminum row boat for $40 that I flipped for $300, and another for $100 that I flipped for $300.

My best brewing related find was a chest freezer that will fit 3 cornies with comfort plus additional room on the hump for yeast and such, a Johnson controls analog temp controller, full 5lb tank w/regulator, and a sankey tap for $100.

I recently Traded my 55gal Fish tanks for a brewers best equipment kit, 5.1 surround sound system with Brand new 10 inch JL sub, and a Galaxy 7 android tablet!

The JL sub was worth the trade alone. Plus i got a tablet and the brew equipment.

It was a steal of a deal.

Currently looking to find a keg setup on CL in my Area. There is really not much posted as far as Brew stuff in my area right now. :(

5 ball-lock corny kegs, CO2 regulator, 6 quick disconnects (3 gas, 3 liqud) - $80. The guy said the phone rang a lot. He was switching back to bottling from kegging.

I just picked up a Gatorade display cooler for $100. It's the tall full-sized one too. Great graphics, and the light even works! Using it for my fementation chamber with polished Sanke fermentation kegs. I love craigslist, except that they are anti-gun.

about 3000 dollars worth of brewing equipment and supplies for about 2200.

I sold the keggerator and carboys for about 1200 and was left with a few kegs, shelving, brew stand, keggels, pump, fermentors, bottles, stir-plate, chemicals, and about 20 pounds of hops 400 pounds of grain... a dozen Hommer buckets

I figure I made out pretty good...

15 gallon SS Kettle, $30 and sold the paddle for $15, net cost $15

kettle.jpg

Free fridge...I painted w/ a quart of Rustoleum

HPIM5386.jpg

Zongshen 200cc scoot... $600 needed a lil tlc

HPIM5664.jpg

Lifan GY5 200cc Dual Sport 185 miles, $800

IMG_20111112_150759.jpg

1 pound bag of Sorachi Ace pellets for $20. Guy ordered too much, so now I have something new to play try.

I'm going to keep this to homebrew related. I'm pretty much decorating and remodeling my house through craigslist.

I've done very well with CO2 tanks and kegs, including getting three, 3 gallon kegs for $20/each (between two sales), but for $100 I got:

10 gallon brew pot with a blichmann thermometer and ss,2 piece ball valve
blichmann beer gun
Barley crusher
Immersion chiller
Carboy drying rack
2 boxes of new bottles
Hydrometer/thermometer combo
Another thermometer
Some glycerin and gelatine
a co2 manifold
And a bottle of bourbon county stout

I got two pin lock kegs, a keggle with lid, a sanke keg, a ten gallon kettle, a Ranco digital, a submersible pump, a 50' 1/2 inch copper immersion chiller and more for $220.

FREE!

Mini kegs and tap, ale pail, glass Carboy, bottle filler, siphon,2 cases grolsch bottles,2 cases 22oz bottles and miscellaneous small stuff

ForumRunner_20130517_175202.jpg

A BJ from a girl with a really low voice.....

And a case of the herp.

It must be nice being from a decent city or a densely populated suburb. All I get around here is a bunch of g's wanting to sell their 26's for three grand. :fro:

Latest posts

Back