Trials and Tribulations or No Wonder Monks are Patient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
As way of introduction, my friend presented me with a home brew kit; kettle, carboys, hoses, cleaning and sanitizing solutions, bottles etc (I know, a great friend indeed!).

So, knowing it's coming, I go ahead and order some Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer. Unfortunately, I order on a Friday evening, so it won't arrive until the following Thursday (I ordered extra ice packs, but it wasn't even cool by the time it got here; no more ordering the ingredient kit on a Friday! Well, Monday arrives and so do six boxes of equipment. I do an inventory and find that the Kettle Ball Valve isn't there...kind of hard to boil with a hole 2 inches from the bottom of the kettle. So, I call the vendor and they say, "No problem. We'll get one out to you. Should arrive on Friday." Okay, well, the ingredients don't get here until Thursday, so I'm cool.

Friday gets here and I call the vendor. He says "It shows 'out for delivery'." Great! I can brew this weekend! So, I'm jumping up and running to the door every time I hear a noise...like a kid on Christmas Eve LOL.

But, the valve never arrived...sad face...

Called the vendor the next day and they said, "Oops, we sent it to your friend (in Virginia...I live in Florida). We'll send you another. It should be there next Thursday." Christmas was just delayed a week...GAHHHHH!!!

I finally received the valve last week and decided to see how long my 20 year old electric stove would take to bring 5 gallons to a boil...it never did. Patience, Grasshopper.

Yesterday, I tried my gas grill; flat top, 3 burners. It seemed to do the job, until I took the top off the kettle. The temp dropped to below boiling and wouldn't come back up. And there was no way I was going to attempt a covered wort boil. So, I borrowed my friend's turkey fryer base.

Oh yeah, along with timing getting water up to a boil, I also timed how long it took to bring it down to 70 degrees. Tap water, no. After an hour running water I pay for through the chiller, it was only at 98 degrees...too hot. I have a well for the sprinkler system, so maybe that's cooler. It was. Got the wort down to almost the perfect temp.

So, this morning the dog gets me up to go out. I'm looking around and wonder why the driveway is all wet? OH CRAP!!! I had turned the water off to the sprinklers to get it to come out the hose. When I was done experimenting yesterday, I turned off the hose also. Too bad I didn't turn off the sprinkler timer. It came on last night, and with nowhere to go, the water pressure popped a line at the pump...IN THE GARAGE!!

I spent the next hour drying out the garage.

Then, about 1030, I realize I haven't smacked my smack packs and we have to be somewhere at 3:00. GAHHHH!!!

But patience is definitely a virtue. I smacked my smack packs and proceeded to boiled my wort. Now I'm sitting here, waiting on my wort to hit the cooling temp. I still have a couple hours and the smack packs are plumping right up. I should be golden :)

What a way to start my home brewing career.

Anyway... Happy Father's Day!

Cheers!

Boy does this sound familiar. I remember my first brew days feeling really crazy and hectic. After a few, you learn your equipment and your processes and it smoothes out and turns into a great, relaxing process. Then you get upgrades and things change again. Ah the joy of brewing.

And on that note, I'm going to go crush some grains and get started in my first 10 gallon batch... something new as I've only done 5 gal batches up until today

Happy Father's Day

~Cheers

Yeah, like every new thing you try you seem to be all left feet and thumbs for a while, and then it clicks. The nice thing about homebrew is that tomorrow is always another day - if you can't get to bottling today, tomorrow or next week will be fine.

One of the things I like most about homebrewing is that it really improves your relationship with time. Instead of living the Kool-aid "gotta have it now" mentality so prevalent in today's world, the product of this hobby may take weeks, months, possibly years, to fully mature. It slows your brain down and gets your brain thinking long-term. It is a frustrating adjustment at first, but once you come to peace with the idea that some things will take a while to come to fruition, maybe not today or even tomorrow or even the day after that, you can apply that learning not just to beer-making but work and relationships.

Back