Recipe input advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
Im threw this together last night with some stuff I have sitting around the house. What do you think? I kinda wanted to keep it on the lower end of the ABV range, but whatever. How does my hop schedule look? Quantities? I have some Special B and wheat malt also laying around.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Turbos and Hookers IPA
Brewer: Ryan Kipping
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 94.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 72.0 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
1 lbs Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.0 %
8.0 oz Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 34.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 16.9 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight 7C's [9.90 %] - Boil 1 Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

For an IPA type of beer, that's too much melanoidin and crystal malt. You've got 12% crystal malt- I'd cut that in half at least. I'd also cut the melanoidin significantly, like to .25 pounds, as it's intensely malty. An IPA should be quaffable and drinkable, with a nice malt backbone, but not sweet, thick, and cloying.

I like the Vienna malt a lot, and would consider increasing that if you want more malt flavor, instead of the melanoidin malt.

I'd leave out the 30 minute warrior addition (as there is plenty of bitterness already) and increase the late hops for more hops flavor and aroma. I don't know if I like that many varieties together in one beer, but if you do, that's fine. I'd go with a schedule more like this:
1 oz chinook 60 minutes
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes
Dryhop with 1-2 ounces of chosen hops

The hops sounds tasty to me. I have juat ordered some citra and I havent used it before but I like how it effects the beer. I was reading a thread for a different ipa and the people there had an ongoing disscussion about dry hoping with citra. Some loved it, others hated it and most said they used too much. I'm not sure but let me know how it turns out

I'm with Yooper, back off on the specialty malts, and skip that 30 min hop addition....bitter early in the boil, flavor late in the boil. ;)

So caramunich is still good then? I think Im going to use 10 lbs of base. I dont have any more Vienna and wont get off work in time to go to the brew store to get more. I have 3 oz of centennial total, maybe Ill get rid of the falconers 7c's and add more centennial. Its at 57 IBU's right now. I guess thats right in the middle for the style Im going to for. I mainly want to use the pacman I have sitting in my fridge.

I adjusted the grain bill to suggestion, but for some reason at the 20 min mark i said whatever and dumped an oz of 7c's in there. It smells great, but I guess I should have checked ibus before I did that

I just sampled this last night after I took a gravity reading. It's REALLY over hopped. I guess I won't be dry hopping after all. It's @ 77 IBUs. Hopefully it'll calm down in the next 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back