American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I did this one a month ago, and the keg is quickly getting drained at this point. 1.058/1.012 were my gravities. I mashed at 150 for a thinner finish to let the hops do the talking. Compared to Zombie Dust, I prefer mine.

* Color is spot on
* hops smell better in mine
* Carbonation is currently higher in ZD, but I prefer less
* Malt complexity is higher with ZD, but again, I prefer hop flavor

Next up, I'm going to try the same recipe with Mosaic instead of Citra.

Incredible brew (common consensus, I know, I know) and thanks skeezer! Any ideas of an all-grain IIPA conversion? Think it'd be great!

I have been fermenting this for a week as of tomorrow night. All three fermentors are still at full krausen. This seems a bit odd to me. Should I be concerned? OG was 1.058 and am fermenting from 65-68F.

I also brewed mine last week Saturday, I dont know if theres still krausen on my batch, It had blowoff so i cant see. I usually give my beers atleast 10-12 days before i look at it and take a sample

Very good, much better after 1 month in keg

image-3293781353.jpg

I am going to brew this for the 4th time tomorrow.

I am running low on Citra (6oz left) so i may i may go with the following:

60 minutes - 1oz Magnum
15 minutes - 1oz citra
05 minutes - 1oz citra
00 minutes - 1oz citra

3oz citra dry hop.

IBU - 65ish

has any one successfully done any similar substitutions? I know it will not be the same, but i am hoping that it will be close.

Thanks,

I think this might be my next brew. Is there anything really important that I should know between page 1 and page 49? Thanks!

So the "krausen" was still there after two weeks. I ended up racking to secondary and it ended up at 1.010. Gonna be dry! Dry hopped one gallon with Citra, another with Mosaic, and the third with...nothing. Should be an interesting taste test once I bottle.

Brewed this up yesterday. Smelled absolutely fantastic and my gravity sample was delish. Ended up just a bit low at 1.061. Can't wait to pour more than a few of these next month.

The Dust is a must.

What a great beer this is. I've never actually had the real deal but brewed this recipe all grain and it was so much better than any IPA I've made before. My friends loved it also which is why I'm getting ready to brew another batch. Found a pound of citra leaf for 24 shipped at label peelers today. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It was also the first time I used citra so that opened up another world to me!

Have brewed versions of this over the last year... the last incarnation is 3 weeks in primary and now 3 days in keg/force carbed. Dry hop was 5 days in the primary. It is just, simply, stupid-good:

6.5 gallons - adjust accordingly.

Zombie dust

Style: American IPA

Type: Calories: 215

Rating: 0.0 Boil Size: 7.39 Gal

IBU's: 64.70 Batch Size: 6.50 Gal

Color: 8.7 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes

Preboil OG: 1.063

Estimated Actual

Brew Date: - 03/09/2013

OG: 1.066 1.066

FG: 1.016 1.016

ABV: 6.55 % 6.55 %

Efficiency: 78 % 78 %

Serve Date: 03/09/2013 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage
Name Time Gravity
12.00 lbs 74.13 % Rahr 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 12.36 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Fawcett Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Carapils 60 mins 1.033
0.50 lbs 3.09 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
3.00 ozs 1.16 % Acid Malt 60 mins 1.027

Hops
Amount IBU's
Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 19.59 Magnum First Wort 11.00
1.25 ozs 19.44 Citra 15 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 14.21 Citra 10 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 7.81 Citra 5 mins 13.20
1.25 ozs 1.69 Citra 1 mins 13.20
3.00 ozs Citra 5 days 13.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale White Labs 0007

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
5.00 g Gypsum 15 mins Mash
1.50 g Calcium Chloride 15 mins Mash
1.00 oz Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 20.23 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F

Carbonation
(none)

Notes
Three gallons RO water, two gallons tap water. Same ratio of water and minerals in sparge.

So I am coming to the end of the dry hop on my "experiments". I have one gallon exactly to the recipe. I have another gallon which I dry hopped with Mosaic instead of Citra. The last gallon I have not dry hopped. Really interested in seeing how different they will be. Have a feeling I will like the Mosaic the best, but you never know until you get em bottled or kegged and start tasting them.

So I rushed down to Churchkey last week because they had 3FZD and other 3F brews on tap IN DC!! I got there about 30 minutes after the doors opened, and the line was out the bar and around the corner. I waited patiently (not really) and right before I got in, some dude comes out and says its all gone...and it was! A very, very sad beer day for me...Hope this clone makes up for it!! Cheers!

So I rushed down to Churchkey last week because they had 3FZD and other 3F brews on tap IN DC!! I got there about 30 minutes after the doors opened, and the line was out the bar and around the corner. I waited patiently (not really) and right before I got in, some dude comes out and says its all gone...and it was! A very, very sad beer day for me...Hope this clone makes up for it!! Cheers!

Wow, 30 min? That blows...poor rationing from the bartenders in my opinion.

So, a few things. The smell coming out the airlock is the fruity tropical bombastic I expected from this. Oh citra :p

Also, anyone else have S-04 finish in 2 days?!? I know its not done, but it went gangbusters for a full day & krausen has already dropped. Never let it get higher than 64f. Similar strains recommend a diacetyl rest, is that needed here? And since it's a high flocc'r, do many dry-hop in primary since yeasties drop out? I was planning on getting it off the cake for maximum dry-hop aroma impact, however, with the high floc, wasnt sure it was an issue here.

Thanks! :D

Wow, 30 min? That blows...poor rationing from the bartenders in my opinion.

So, a few things. The smell coming out the airlock is the fruity tropical bombastic I expected from this. Oh citra :p

Also, anyone else have S-04 finish in 2 days?!? I know its not done, but it went gangbusters for a full day & krausen has already dropped. Never let it get higher than 64f. Similar strains recommend a diacetyl rest, is that needed here? And since it's a high flocc'r, do many dry-hop in primary since yeasties drop out? I was planning on getting it off the cake for maximum dry-hop aroma impact, however, with the high floc, wasnt sure it was an issue here.

Thanks! :D

I pitched my yeast on Sunday evening and it was going nuts Monday and Tuesday evening when I checked after work. Wasn't home Wednesday to check it, but by last night (Thursday) I didn't have airlock activity at all. So yeah, I'd say my main activity was right around two days. I've been fermenting at 63 by the way. In my (admittedly limited) experience with S-04 this isn't uncommon. I really like this yeast. Anyway, I plan on ramping up my temps slowly over the next few days to around 67 or so and then letting it sit for a week or so. Then I'll throw in some dry hops and keg. Really excited to drink this beer.

Should I use Briess Pilsen Extra Light DME or the Briess Golden Light DME?

Yesterday I transferred to secondary for dry hopping. The smell was really awesome. Headed to Spain today for 9 days and when I get back, its keg time.

So I am coming to the end of the dry hop on my "experiments". I have one gallon exactly to the recipe. I have another gallon which I dry hopped with Mosaic instead of Citra. The last gallon I have not dry hopped. Really interested in seeing how different they will be. Have a feeling I will like the Mosaic the best, but you never know until you get em bottled or kegged and start tasting them.

stonebrewer, I am very curious as to the results of your dry hopping. I have 8 oz of mosaic, and 4 of citra. Intended to do a mosaic IPA (columbus or chinook in the mix with mostly mosaic), and then some kind of american wheat with the Citra. But all this gushing over Zombie Dust is making me think about citra in the IPA. I don't have enough Citra to make it ALL Citra (other than the bittering). Curious how the mosaic interacted with the citra

jimlin: soon as I crack them open I will post some tasting notes. Had a genuine ZD last night and oh, the Citra aroma was amazing!! I bottled about 10 days ago so have another 10or so to go, then I will invite over a fellow homebrewer and we will see if a) my attempt is close to what we had last night; b) if dry hopping makes a large difference or small; and c) if we prefer dry hopping with mosaic or citra, or like them both equally. I tell you from other experiments we have done, after smelling the mosaic in a beer I have a difficult time thereafter detecting any other hop aroma...it sort of takes over your nose, if you know what I mean. Look here in another week or two for my report.

Cheers!!

WLP 002, i think, their english yeast. would that be okay for this, LHBS has that in stock, wondering if that would work

ddicker60 said:
WLP 002, i think, their english yeast. would that be okay for this, LHBS has that in stock, wondering if that would work

Yes 002 is great for this beer, I believe it's what 3F uses, or something close at least. I mashed at about 150 and that worked well for me, could go lower even if you want it a little dryer.

AnchorBock said:
Yes 002 is great for this beer, I believe it's what 3F uses, or something close at least. I mashed at about 150 and that worked well for me, could go lower even if you want it a little dryer.

X2. It's the same as 1968, which has been used very successfully.

I personally prefer Wyeast 1968 because the smack pack, it let's you know the yeast is ready to rock.

I don't have enough Citra to make it ALL Citra (other than the bittering). Curious how the mosaic interacted with the citra

I have made 3-4 beers with Mosaic now, I love it. I think a blend of Mosaic for the late additions and dry hop would kick ass. Keep the Citra for bittering to make sure the balance of this recipe remains.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this recipe, again search for my notes in this thread for my review. I'm drinking a ~4 month old bottle of 3F Zombie Dust now...watch out for the sediment! :D

~Adam

Thanks for the recipe. Why by chance is Wyeast 1968 used? I looked up the details and it doesn't describe anything IPA like to me, and the styles listed weren't APA or IPA either.

Thanks,

JFMBearcat said:
Thanks for the recipe. Why by chance is Wyeast 1968 used? I looked up the details and it doesn't describe anything IPA like to me, and the styles listed weren't APA or IPA either.

Thanks,

A lot of breweries use the English strain as house yeast (three Floyd's, Firestone walker to name a couple).

On Hopville is says attentuation is 67% Is this true? I would think it would be at least in the seventies. Thanks for the info!

ddicker60 said:
On Hopville is says attentuation is 67% Is this true? I would think it would be at least in the seventies. Thanks for the info!

I have hit in the 80%s with 002, it all about mash temp, yeast quality/quantity, and oxygen.

Racked this to a keg last night with the dry hops. Smells great and the flat gravity sample was tasty. Finished at 1.015, so about 6%. A little off, but I'm not complaining. Should be drinking in a couple weeks. I don't expect this one to last more than a long weekend.

I have hit in the 80%s with 002, it all about mash temp, yeast quality/quantity, and oxygen.

Sounds good, my dad and I are fine tuning our yeast propagation procedure.

Hopefully it's as good as people say, we are having a family reunion and this is going be what we are drinking that weekend

I apologize if this has been answered already, but when it comes to dryhopping, do you dryhop in the primary or rack and then dryhop? Also, is it better to dryhop for 10 days or 7? Thanks!

The pros try to dry hop just before end of fermentation to reduce oxygenation while yeast is still active, as introducing dry hops will also introduce oxygen. At least that is my understanding. It is also my understanding that for me at least, on a homebrew level, that fermentation 5gallons is usually complete in 4-5 days, but I am always too busy during work week to check the daily gravity readings. This practice has lead me to check at the end of a week and say wow! It's done! But I secondary/condition for a few more weeks, with the notion that yeast is still doing other things to the wort/beer but not primary fermentation any longer. This would lead me to believe if a pro was homebrewing that they would add at four days and try to be sure that they purge oxygen out of hops as much as possible (which I don't think is really possible at all unless you racked into a purged keg..).

But, what I do is rack during secondary conditioning or during kegging, or both. I will try to do it at four days one of these times. I suppose that you would need to ensure that at four days, your primary fermentation wasn't going along at a furious pace, or you might not be at tail end of fermentation after all, so I would take my advice with that grain of salt if you will.

Time is also variable. Some say they get astringent favors after more than 5 days, but I've left the hop sack in for a month or longer without ill effect, when I've added to the keg. I believe the Pliny beer gets dry hopped twice, and once for like 10-14 days then again for 5-7 I think.

TD

Dry hopping in the keg is my prefered way to reduce oxygenation. I connect the gas to the out side and bubble up CO2 to push out the nasty O2, and then seal with pressure, using the relief valve to purge any remaining O2.

When doing a beer that requires multiple dry hopping, I think it is best to leave the old hops in. Too many things, in my mind, can go wrong pulling things out of your beer and putting thing back in. YMMV.

Back