Copper welds turning green...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Any problem with my copper welding job turning green after my second boil? looks like it may have just tarnished..

I've read that the green verdigris that forms on copper is poisonous and should never come into contact with wort or anything else that you intend to consume. At the very least, I'd scrub it off.

well.. it could have been after my keg had oxyclean in it for two days after a brew.. youre kinda freakin me out about poison though

and yeah i meant the soldered joints

You have to ingest a lot of verdigris to be affected. It's like the cyanide in apples, I wouldn't worry about it.

The green is from the zinc chloride in the solder flux corroding the copper to copper chloride. Most of the soldering fluxes are petroleum base with zinc chloride as the cleaning agent, need to use a soap or solvent to break down the petroleum base residue and clean the zinc chloride "acid" off the joint. Wash it up then polish with scotch brite and that should be the end of your problems.

Clean it well. Regardless of the possible problem with ingesting it, verdigris will end up in your wort and make for weird flavors.

Latest posts

Back